Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Complete amp - 4x Neurochrome Modulus 86
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2018, 02:41 AM   #11
CharlieLaub is online now CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

In the meantime, you might try this with your amp to track down the noise or ground loop:

Disconnect all but one amp unit from the PS and inputs. Connect the remaining amp board, power up, and see if the noise is still happening.

I had a strange noise problem in a multichannel set up. After much sleuthing it seemed that the noise was picked up by the interconnects when they were not bundled tightly (like all wires within the same jacket a la a snake cable). By using just one amp, and having only one cable connected, you could rule this out at least.

Also, make up a shorting RCA input plug. Just an input with signal and gnd shorted together, no cable, etc. Plug that in to the single active amp module's input and fire up the amp. Any noise? There shouldn't be. If there is the culprit is definitely inside the amp, possible in the PS e.g. noise from the diode bridge diodes or whatever, pos/gnd/neg not tightly twisted or woven into a triplet within the amp, or two ground locations (e.g. earth ground on chassis next to AC mains socket AND RCA jacks grounded.

Dont' give up, that should be an awesome amp and you spent lots of time on it already. The answer might be so close!
Old 19th October 2018, 05:56 AM   #12
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

+1 for the shorting plug suggestion.

You're more than welcome to contact me via email. I seem to recall that we did speak a while back. If I've missed an email from you, I apologize. My email volume is pretty high these days as I'm getting quotes together for the Modulus-186 and -286 manufacturing and the Modulus-286 kit.

The Modulus-86 should be dead quiet. My 4xMOD86 amp (built like yours, except for I use balanced inputs) certainly is.

I'm not impressed with the layout of the supply board that you're using. Whoever designed that did not make good use of the available copper in my opinion. I can't say for sure if that's the root cause of your issues, but if the more obvious suggestions fail to yield results, that's something I'd look at. My Power-86 or Power-686 would be a good fit and you can probably reuse the caps.

What kind on noise are we talking about? Hiss? Hum? Something in between?

Anyway. Should you decide to sell, someone will get a screaming deal for sure. It looks like a nice build. It's probably $800ish just in components, chassis included.

Tom
Old 19th October 2018, 06:02 AM   #13
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codewritinfool View Post
What case is that?
ModuShop Dissipante 2U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzb1 View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but the only time I've been able to build a quiet 4-channel amps is when I've used a completely separate power supply (including transformer) for each channel. YMMV.
That's not necessary with the Modulus-86.

Anyway. I just noticed that the original post is from 2017. This probably isn't relevant anymore.

If OP has decided to give it another go, I'm more than happy to help.

Tom
Old 19th October 2018, 06:57 AM   #14
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't know the layout of the Modulus-86 PCB but with four modules sharing one PSU, I would use the PSU gnd as speaker return instead of using the gnd on the PCB. This fixes many gnd loop in multi-channel setup using single PSU.

Line inputs are too close to AC lines... Same for the supply are too close to transformer, unless picture angle is not good. I would have put two modules close side by side with the size of this heatsink (would be a no brainer) to minimize cable length and keep them away from transformer.

This can all be fixed very quickly.

Do
Old 19th October 2018, 07:07 AM   #15
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post

I'm not impressed with the layout of the supply board that you're using. Whoever designed that did not make good use of the available copper in my opinion. I can't say for sure if that's the root cause of your issues, but if the more obvious suggestions fail to yield results, that's something I'd look at. My Power-86 or Power-686 would be a good fit and you can probably reuse the caps.

Tom
That's the official diyAudio board I believe. I'm not sure if it's the current board or a previous incarnation as I believe there have been a couple.
Old 19th October 2018, 07:32 AM   #16
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Why don't you just leave the guy to sell at peace? If he wanted advice he would have opened an advice thread instead.
Old 19th October 2018, 08:21 AM   #17
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Why don't you just leave the guy to sell at peace? If he wanted advice he would have opened an advice thread instead.
Oh please... the ads a year old. If he still has it to sell this is only helping.

Complete amp - 4x Neurochrome Modulus 86Hide this!Advertise here!