• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Iron Pumpkin preamplifier(s) kits

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well , everything explained and shown in technical thread :

Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals , but be aware that latest and final iteration of electronic part of package (main difference being JFet buffer instead of Diamond ) is shown in Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals, Tips 'n' Tricks thread

on sale are several options :

1. Iron Pumpkin SE (yup , that one being for RCA inputs/outputs) ,consisting of :
-Iron Turtle SE AVC , as assembled and tested unit (two irons on one common pcb ), rotary switch ,50cm flat cable finished, necessary stand-offs
-two pcs of Iron Pumpkin SE mono pcbs (selector, shunt regs , buffer -all that on one pcb) , with all small SMD JFets presoldered , all BC bjt critters , voltage references , BD bjts for reg CCS ,all relays, Philips MKC 1uF caps , selector Lorlin switch with two finished flat cables, all multiturn trimpots , necessary 1-pin sockets for optional Borbely WCF buffer iteration, u22 cap for WCF

price - measly 550E , plus 30E for Paypal , P&P expenses

2. Iron Pumpkin (Bal) (yup , that one being for XLR inputs/outputs , possible combination with RCAs, read threads for that) ; that one consisting of :
-Iron Turtle (Bal) AVC , as assembled and tested unit (one iron on one pcb but two pcbs stacked having same footprint as previous one) , rotary switch,50cm flat cable finished, necessary stand-offs
-two pcs of Iron Pumpkin (Bal) mono pcbs (selector, shunt regs , buffer -all that on one pcb) , with small SMD JFets presoldered , all BC bjt critters , voltage references , BD bjts for reg CCS ,all relays, Philips MKC 1uF caps , selector Lorlin switch with two finished flat cables, all multiturn trimpots , necessary 1-pin sockets for optional Borbely WCF buffer iteration, u22 cap for WCF

price - measly 650E , plus 30E for Paypal , P&P expenses

3.Iron Turtle SE AVC (so no electronics), as assembled and tested unit (two irons on one common pcb) , rotary switch ,50cm flat cable finished, necessary stand-offs

price - measly 450E , plus 30E for Paypal , P&P expenses

4.Iron Turtle (Bal) AVC (so no electronics) , as assembled and tested unit (one iron on one pcb but two pcbs stacked having same footprint as previous one) , rotary switch,50cm flat cable finished, necessary stand-offs

price - measly 550E , plus 30E for Paypal , P&P expenses

5. Iron Pumpkin SE electronics
( so no AVC in package ) (yup , that one being for RCA inputs/outputs) ; that one consisting of :
-two pcs of Iron Pumpkin SE mono pcbs (selector, shunt regs , buffer -all that on one pcb) , with all small SMD JFets presoldered , all BC bjt critters , voltage references , BD bjts for reg CCS ,all relays, Philips MKC 1uF caps , selector Lorlin switch with two finished flat cables, all multiturn trimpots , necessary 1-pin sockets for optional Borbely WCF buffer iteration, u22 cap for WCF

price - measly 130E , plus 20E for Paypal , P&P expenses

6. Iron Pumpkin (Bal) electronics
( so no AVC in package)(yup , that one being for XLR inputs/outputs , possible combination with RCAs, read thread for that) ; that one consisting of :
-two pcs of Iron Pumpkin (Bal) mono pcbs (selector, shunt regs , buffer -all that on one pcb) , with small SMD JFets presoldered , all BC bjt critters , voltage references , BD bjts for reg CCS ,all relays, Philips MKC 1uF caps , selector Lorlin switch with two finished flat cables, all multiturn trimpots , necessary 1-pin sockets for optional Borbely WCF buffer iteration, u22 cap for WCF

price - measly 160E , plus 20E for Paypal , P&P expenses

for all technical questions , visit linked threads
for other questions - ask here or in PM

considering prices from other vendors of AVC thingies , I believe this is pretty good bang for the buck

shipping time from 1 to 4 weeks ......... sometimes things need to flow from Germany or China ......

and yes case/chassis needed : regular width , minimum 3HE ........ even if , with some care , it can be squeezed in proper 2HE case

in both cases 350mm deep case is good to have , from various reasons ..... one of them being - necessary distance between small Donut to rest of preamp

Last edited:
Hi ZM,

I just finishedmy first amp, an Aleph J, and WOW she sings! But now I'm thinking I'd love to drive her with an Iron Pumpkin. Will the kits still be available at the end of August? That's when I'll be able to afford a kit. And will you be offering those sweet lloking faceplates with the kit?

Jeffrey

One more question. If I get a balanced kit do i have to use balanced inputs only or can I mx balanced and unbalanced inputs?