• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted: orig. Firstwatt B1 buffer pcb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aww, come on... ! you want the original, you gotta pay for
the original !! :happy2:
that´s no chinese crap knock off from eBay, it´s the real deal.
if you want a bargain, order the PCB´s from PassDIY together
with the jfets, because 10 bucks for 4 original 2SK170 matched
by the grandmaster himself is just ridicules.

if you can´t afford it, a piece of perfboard will do just fine. :D

Aww, come on... ! you want the original, you gotta pay for
the original !! :happy2:
that´s no chinese crap knock off from eBay, it´s the real deal.
if you want a bargain, order the PCB´s from PassDIY together
with the jfets, because 10 bucks for 4 original 2SK170 matched
by the grandmaster himself is just ridicules.

if you can´t afford it, a piece of perfboard will do just fine. :D

I think you are missing the point here.
I too was looking to buy a B1 pcb plus jfets - The price is fair for the PCB and the matched '170's are a great bonus --- BUT shipping for a PCB -$47
--Bit of a sting in the tail when you reach the checkout!!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mezmerize B1 Buffer – diyAudio Store

Saves you from buying expensive capacitors. Sounds way better too because it does not have those coupling caps. Multiple inputs switched by relays, pads for volume control, auto muting at power on/off so no plops. A quite good integrated symmetric PSU. Cheaper to build for a lower price. What else does one want ?

* Mr. Pass changed the B1 to a DC coupled version too recently.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The original idea was good but it has been surpassed by a better execution of the idea. Even if it has been designed by angels, I would not want to build a buffer (or anything else connected directly to a power amp) without muting relay. I don't like the smell of woofers in the morning (or just annoying plops). Mez has less wiring too and no need for expensive switches as it uses relays for inputs. The nearly 50 $ for shipping can be spent more effectively on the parts IMO.

The more recent DC coupled version of the B1 uses a switcher. Nuff said. Mezmerize is superior in many ways. Of course I meant to write: "Cheaper to build and better sound quality". Anyone who has built both can testify. Just think of the time you gain by NOT trying out different coupling caps :D

Last edited:
"" I don't like the smell of woofers in the morning ""

'It Don't smell like Victory'!! ;-)'

I'm going to Go with the MeZ board -- maybe when I gain more experience and can 'Hear' enough to have something to say ---And understand the difference . -- There is a Steep Learning curve to this Game (that you guys Hear and understand0

I think you are missing the point here.
I too was looking to buy a B1 pcb plus jfets - The price is fair for the PCB and the matched '170's are a great bonus --- BUT shipping for a PCB -$47
--Bit of a sting in the tail when you reach the checkout!!

.... sorry for the late reply, i´m still down and out with the flu.
yeah, you´re right 47$ for shipping is outrageous, it seems that
shippping-fees are out of control for the last few years, especially from
the us of A to overseas (... OTOH you can get class-D-amp-pcbs from
china for 4,99 with free shipping, doesn´t make sense...)

and Jean-Paul, thanks for stepping in, you´re right, the DCB1-pcb from
the diyA-store is a great alternative, it´s probably the best buffer on
the planet, but the mezmerize lacks the main design goal of the
original B1, wich is simplicity. (...and cap-rolling is so much fun !! :whacko:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mezmerize IS simplicity but with regards to practical use adapted to real life. It may be that you have a CD player, Media player, TV , tape deck, FM tuner and a phone whose beautiful sounds you want to hear over loudspeakers. It may be that you dislike plops when switching stuff on. You know what Einstein said....Make things simple but not too simple. There are way too many benefits building a Mez over B1 but have it your way. When one has to choose for best audio quality choice is even more simple. B1 with the best paper in oil/tin foil in mineral oil/copper foil hand rolled in pure bio-polyester (fill in your favourite cap) sounds worse than Mez. Mez is king on the hill overlooking other buffers ;).

Cap rolling is a useless pastime when they are not needed. There is no better coupling cap than no coupling cap. The ultra high-end audiophile "No Cap" brand is also cheaper than Obbligato and such foolery. I was told "No Cap" are produced in a secret factory in North Korea where production is checked by Kim Jung Il himself.

* The buffer circuit itself is simpler than the original B1 to be precise as 4 capacitors are omitted. Fact ! :) I don't think the main goal of the B1 design was simplicity but if that is your wish please think of going passive. Simplicity in it purest form. Two input source switch (relays are too complex and who needs all those devices ?) and a potentiometer in your power amp. No B1, No Mez, happiness. Or omit the complete audio chain, heaven.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.