• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: - Extinction-1541 - pcb board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1 000 AUD. (no negociation)

Extinction-1541 Board v1 :

- Made by R. with help of few people coming from different walks life, specials, etc. First PCB ever developped in Esperanto !

- Worth it, very usefull to learn about ground planes everywhere & around the TDA1541 chip in all the directions ! Collection piece for sure !

- drawed with beers, so shorts proof !

Price is without shipment of course !

Reason : on the AYA 2 2014 now !

You didn't know the Distinction-1541 board in China ????:confused: ! How can it be possible :p

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...est-list-tda1541a-core-board.html#post3921851

Grup project: designed from a good willed grup of people, some in Esperanto-English (Esperan-glisch : same same but different) and many friendly inputs here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/203511-any-good-tda1541a-dac-kit.html#post2841261, mainly inspired by the great researchs of the boss of ECDESIGNS company aka John at DIYAUDIO (thanks to him to share here).

The FS was an april fool after a history hacking atempt à la "all is Under control now by an australian Michelangelo" ! (I pushed for a ground revision to have a more solid core pcb base and not only cosmetic improvements, though they are very welcome as well)

You can also copy it from the pictures in your kitchen, but WE already made the errors ! Notice it works, but many want like me here to do better than poor EBay kits ! It was a motivation of many of us !

Bad news for you it is sold despite it was an April fool : Grand'Ma bought it yesterday at the price, because she has not her head anymore :D

:D... with the money, will buy a plane ticket for Chengdu, nice aera and great spicy food :)... after I will have a dangerous bus trip on the edges of the abyss to the temple of Labrang (like very much this little "temple" town: Xia-He iirc) of red hat monks which play pools in the streets after dialectic talks. I had a backpack trip here 20 years ago from Kumning via Dali and Lijiang before came bak to HK via Lanzhou (and from the beginning via: Aomen - Macau- , Guangzhou - Canton- Guilin... by horses in the hymalayan pre mountain between Chengdu & Xiahe, by feet, river boats, dangerous cars :eek:... one and half month !)

Nice country and people, great food, amazing souvenirs...

Last edited:
Actually, I am intrigued to experiment with Thoerston's DIY with copper foil over vero board and attempt my own version.

But if I grab another of these boards which has a lot right about them then I will use it to experiment with I2S attenuation and a different DEM circuit. I think Distinction is more right than wrong, and the sound I am getting is fine. But the conversation about ground planes and I2S attenuation has me intrigued. I like Thoerston's suggestion that you can run small insulated wire over the ground plane and beat a 4 layer pcb. Makes sense, so using the current v1 to implement I2S attenuation is easy and likely high quality. Also easy to compare solid ground plane across the bottom by adding copper foil.

But vero board does not cost much, so your non negotialble $1,000 offer won't cut it. If you truely have no use for it, $20 CAD offer remains open :)

W

You can't separate the grounds nore made island path on the actual V1 : I tryed. impossible to cut around the hole of a via to isolate it from its surounding ! With scalpel, etc ! Not tryed laser!

One thing you can do is trying to separate the pin 5 via in two parts by cutting inside the via with a small scalpel or pcb tool : to separate upper pin 5 of the bottom pin 5 which is tied to analog plane.

If you suceed to do so, which can easily be checked by a buzzer (voltmeter buzzing tool) you have to tied the bottom pin 14 to the close analog star ground with a little wire (on the //smt decoupling cap of -15 V for example as the radial main cap has its ground via conducting on the two sides of the board, so near pin 14 (dgnd) :joker:! as the +/- 5V: :joker::joker: : ground via is conducting on the two sides of the boards)

You could imagine to solder the main radial caps directly by the bottom (so head of the cap in the bottom side) with the ground leads floating and tied to pin 5 on the bottom directly with a floating insulated wire (sad work) ! This is the best scenario to fix it or a re draw like idescribed on the GB thread with my last input : easy to fix for MichelAngelo : the hardiest was to find the solution and here you have two and a DIYA (diy alone) one in this post.

You should better stay like that, no to risk your v1, listen to music waiting for the v2 and its other improvements. between the two, try a 6072A tube à la Thorsten to benchmark against the lampizator tubes and testimonial for what you like the best between the two and for what sound reasons.

I'm not involved anymore due to the atmosphere... I'm more here for the sharing than collecting palms or sell stuffs and certainly not here to read that I'm retarted if you read into the lines of some apologizes !

It was the opposite of my spirit to merge to an egotic situation, so I leave. But I'm sure the v2 will be better if people continue to share and not focused on the knowledge they believe to have alone.

Not sure to me due to this layout errors than the v1 is better than some chinese Ebay kits. Certainly good enough, mainly due to some good inductance due to the size caps, the respect of the uf-l Z and digital path pin 1 to 4. the dem time cap with its 6k8 as well !

But: PS of the three voltage rails IS important, mainly) ! And I certainly don't want to sell something which I consider to an uncertain quality and twice as despite I considered the design was closed too rapidly by R., I'm involved by this uncertain quality as well as it was a grup of good willed people. All is not a question of money all the time, btw it was not expensive ! But the way the thread is managed now,deserves more a vendor bazar section than anything else! Too much smart-****, crocodile tears as said above...It smells....

I just remember now how one the main contributor of this grup (Audiolapdance member) was right.... follow the white rabbit or you will stay in the matrice (I resume in a special way withmy special english but the sense is here...)
regards

Last edited:
Actually, I am intrigued to experiment with Thoerston's DIY with copper foil over vero board and attempt my own version.

But if I grab another of these boards which has a lot right about them then I will use it to experiment with I2S attenuation and a different DEM circuit. I think Distinction is more right than wrong, and the sound I am getting is fine. But the conversation about ground planes and I2S attenuation has me intrigued. I like Thoerston's suggestion that you can run small insulated wire over the ground plane and beat a 4 layer pcb. Makes sense, so using the current v1 to implement I2S attenuation is easy and likely high quality. Also easy to compare solid ground plane across the bottom by adding copper foil.

But vero board does not cost much, so your non negotialble $1,000 offer won't cut it. If you truely have no use for it, $20 CAD offer remains open :)

I kinda like Thorstens veroboard approach, sounds like a fun project. You can have my distinction for 5 hundy if Eldam plays hardball:)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I kinda like Thorstens veroboard approach, sounds like a fun project. You can have my distinction for 5 hundy if Eldam plays hardball:)

A TDA1541a veroboard dac has worked for me. I built one a few years ago. It is still in service. See my board here:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...mate-weapon-fight-jitter-331.html#post3962308, messages #3307 and #3310.

The biggest challenge was deciphering Thorsten's recommendations. He wanted people to think, not just copy a schematic. I'm not even sure whether I figured it all out but I hope I got most of it.

Now I waiting for Soekris or someone else to produce a R2R dac board that will accept clock and I2S from Iancanada's boards. It may be a long wait.

Thanks Ben

Your Thoerston inspired veroDAC looks great. I like your extensive use of Ferrite beads. When I have time, I will see if I can fully understand what you have done from the photo. I have no doubt it sounds great.

I think in the long run I will enjoy this as my final destination. Along the way, really admire Ryan's board and look forward to a little constructive tampering.

I agree that TL does a good job of offering just enough snippets to inspire. Sometimes I am a little off put by his elite tendency to give us just enough to give us the germ of the idea and then mock us from afar when we miss. But it does stretch my understanding and cause me to get out of the comfort zone. In the end I appreciate the end point if not always the journey.

Yes nice work Ben, that's a nice diy dac. Anyone done dead bug on copper pcb I wonder.
Wlowes, I know what you mean regarding T, but he is really helpful and a great source of knowledge. It would be good if he made modules for DIY, I think they would sell very well, but I guess its a a conflict for his work.

Last edited:
Oh guys, stop posting here.... after the april fool , we have the easter eggs ! :D

If you continue to post here, you risk to create the first thread which will go from the Swap-Meet section to the Digital Line section one (and not the opposite as usual !) !

Just : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...e-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-477.html#post3411085

a bidule between the source and the BCK pin 2 should be avoided ! Because of the noise ! Does a wirewound resistor à la Rhopoint could have not enough large band pass due to its wirewound design for the Bck attenuation ? Enough quiet for this job, or dos the Johnson noise too big yet ?

Pffff I remember Philips putted some resistors in front of the I2S signal on the CD723 player which use TDA1545 (I believe it was a rc filter) : it was immediately a huge improvement as soon as removed !

good luck guys with the layout and current loop near the pin 1 to 4 with I2S attenuation... I will lurk :).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.