• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

$2,300 · Hand Wired 180W/side class D Stereo Hi-Fi Power Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
44236122_934.jpg

This is a hand-wired class D power amp that puts out 180W per side at 4 ohms and safe down to 1 ohm. It has one power supply for each side to avoid interference, it has ruler flat frequency response.
The power supplies can handle anywhere from 100V-240V so no problem taking it around the world. It's also extremely efficient so it produces very little heat and uses very little electricity when idle.
It's based on Hypex amp modules. Here's a bit more information on them: Hypex Electronics BV - UcD180HG

It's also got two 50V 10,000uF capacitors before the amp modules that really make it so the amps are just coasting along, barely working, even at high volumes.

Here's a review of a near-identical amp using the exact same modules: http://the-ear.net/how-to/hypex-diy-amplifier

I'm an audio engineer by trade and I can say this amp sounds stellar. It's sounds so lifelike I've had the experience of closing my eyes and thinking a jazz trio is in my listening room. The wiring used is actually silver-cored instead of copper for better conductivity, and coated in teflon. All of the jacks are gold plated for the same reason. It's without a doubt a very beautiful sounding (and looking!) power amp.

44236155_934.jpg

44236156_934.jpg

Asking $2,000 CAD. Pretty much what it cost to build. Taking offers. I'm located in Canada but can ship worldwide.
More pictures available upon request.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Based on Hypex UCD180 Modules? No offense but these modules are quite inexpensive - just saw Hypex UCD400 modules selling for $50 each. What makes this amp so stellar?

I have built at least 6 Hypex (UCD180 and UCD400 - and all variants in between)- all great amps mind you, but $2k?

Hypex amp

Almix12,

If you are an audio engineer you seem to know very little indeed.

A Hypex UCD180 module uses ST24NF10 MOSFETs which do not have enough current rating to drive 1 ohm. They are rated at 15A at 100C and have an RDs on of 0.07 ohms. Hardly the MOSFET of choice when driving 1 ohm. The losses will be immense.

Furthermore the drive circuit of the MOSFETs is a common emitter pull up device with a PNP gate pull down transistor and this scheme has zero ability to drive 1 ohm.

Oh I see that you have 10,000mfd capacitors on the rails and you say "
It's also got two 50V 10,000uF capacitors before the amp modules that really make it so the amps are just coasting along, barely working, even at high volume"

Now please explain how these magic 10,000mfd caps make the amp "coast along and are barely working even at high volume"

You must have invented the perpetual motion machine. You can have 10 million mfd and it makes no difference to the "coasting" ability or how "hard the amps works"

before you post such stuff check out your "engineering facts" and for 2300 bucks it looks like a dog's breakfast inside.

Interesting that you use silver wire. What about the copper traces on the PCBs?

What about the copper wire used for the output inductors?

What about the copper wire of the mains wiring in our houses?

What about the copper wire in the RCA cables which carry the signal to the amplifier?

What about the copper in the speaker wires?

And you actually believe that a few cm of silver wires "does the trick"

The Hypex modules I have are 100% not capable of 1 ohm operation (UC180/400/700) and none of them even perform that well into 2 ohm loads.

Wonder how much this "audio engineer" knows about what speakers present as a load to an amplifier in terms of impedance and phase angle.

Well as an audio engineer you should know that a moving coil speaker has a lagging phase angle of about 45-60 degrees as far as current is concerned and that the dissipation in the amplifier is twice that of a pure resistive load....but of course you knew this already! This affects an amplifier in a bad way especially with low Z loads.

I realize you're proud of your achievement in constructing an audio amplifier, however as others have pointed out your price is not just out of line it's insane. You do realize that you have posted this ad on a DIY site right? Most sellers here are lucky if they get their parts value out of a sale. FYI for the price you're asking I could buy a used Pass Labs, Krell, Classe, Levinson, etc. Then if I decided to sell it in the future I could get most of my money back. If someone bought your amp they would lose 95% of their money when they sold it.

Rough wood side panels? For the price this thing should have some kind of banned Amazon rain forest hardwood side panels with 30 hand rubbed coats of clear finish.....

Be nice guys...the OP obviously does not know that the value of this amp is no more than parts cost...maybe less looking at that chassis. Maybe he or she took all the reviews that said "the hypex amps are equal or better than commercial offerings that cost thousands" a little too literally. A fair price would be $200 ish...yes?

He is new - poor guy...flew right into a hornets nest with that ad.

HAH!, I was thinking the same thing. I hope the lesson sticks. almix12, almost everyone on this forum is very nice, informed and always willing to help as long as they are approached with honesty and, maybe, just a touch of humility. We may also be capable of forgiveness :).

Rough wood side panels?

Those look like sections of a hardwood floor board... some kind of tongue and groove slat with the tongue side ripped square. Nothing wrong with the application for a DIY thingy.

I consider myself an audio DIY wannabe clueless noob. And I love looking at stuff for sale here. Even though I can not afford 99% of it. But when I saw the insides of this amp....and the cut up pallets attached to the side of the case. My immediate thought was this ad was a joke. Or the sellers keyboard is broke one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.