• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F/S Tubelab SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Tubelab SE I built in the spring of 2012. It is set up with type 45 tubes but I used a transformer designed by forum member rknize with secondaries for 300B's also.

The pair of 45 tubes I have test good.
I have 4 5842's test good and one Sovtek 5AR4 with about 40 hours on it. In fact the amp only has about 40 hrs on it. I finished the amp, used it for a couple weeks then packed it for a 400 mi move and never unpacked it. Now I just feel bad whenever I open the cabinet and see it sitting unused. It's time to let someone else enjoy it.

Specs are:
XPWR131
330-260-0-260-330 @175mA
6.3V CT @ 4A
5V @ 3A

Output transformer
GXSE15-8-5K
15 Watts
Primary: 5000 Ohms
Screen: 40%
Secondary: 8 Ohms

$250

I'll post some better photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
I have two Tubelab SEs - 45 and 300B - and couldn't be happier. I'm still dialing in the 300B, but I can hear where it wants to go.

I moved to the TSE 45 from Gordon Rankin's Bugle circuit with Magnequest parafeed iron. Even with Edcor outputs, the TSE whips the Bugle. Dead quiet, too.

The TJ 45/n mesh tubes are heavenly - far better than any of the OS tubes I've tried.

And, if you're handy with an iron (this is diyAudio, after all), I highly recommend ClarityCap MR couplers.

Enjoy the amp!

Hey now, I'll need a little more time just to get it.;) Never tried the 45 tube before so I'm pretty curious.

The 45 is my favorite tube but, I find myself putting in type 46 tube, the sound is different and even tho it puts out less watts, it sounds beefier. I made the adapters myself for the 46. I also have a pair of EML 45 mesh tubes but still prefer the sound of the 46 globes.

The 45 is one of my favorite tubes too.

About 12 years ago I found the chassis out of an ole Sparton radio in the dirt in the scrap metal section of a flea market / antique market. I got it for $10. It had a tag stating that "all tubes replaced in 10/12/1929! They were indeed all matching National Union tubes. The output tubes were NX-483's. The best I could tell is that they were a 45 with a 5 volt heater. Into my best TSE they went.....where they still live today. Yes, the 85 year old tubes still work great.

it sounds beefier. I made the adapters myself for the 46.

If you can find any, the 307A with an adapter drops into a TSE, and many other amps, as a replacement for a 300B. The 307A has a 5.5 volt heater, but all the tubes that I have tried work fine on 5.0 volts. I do not have the budget for NOS 300B's and have only used Chinese and Russian tubes. The 307A sounds better than either of them. Connect G2 to plate, and G3 to heater negative (ground in the TSE).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.