• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB Cinemag CM-1254 MC transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you reckon these are better than hashimoto's?

Not even close! The CM-1254 is very good. Even better is the CM-1131 which is hand built by David Geren. The Hashimoto HC3 is a quantum upgrade. I have built SUT's with all three. The Cinemag's are a very good value for the money, but given the price difference, the Hashimoto's are in an entirely different league.

Cheers,
Geary

Which Hashimoto? HM-3 ? The reason I ask is that that I'd like to help a friend whom I steered into wrong direction. I recommended Hashimoto MC-10 Sut for his 0.3mV Benz cart and POS Audio Research SP16 pre . Well , ARC pre is not a POS but it has close to nothing overload tolerance . Somehow during 2 weeks trial periods with the records he played it was all OK but afterwards the SUT started overloading phono input on new music he bought so he is on the quest to find something in 1:10 range and similar quality since he really , really likes the way Hashimoto sounds .Reading some posts on forums I was let to believe Cinemag CM-1131 and 1254 are comparable with even better frequency extremes than Hashimoto . Would that be not true?
Regards, L

Which Hashimoto? HM-3 ? The reason I ask is that that I'd like to help a friend whom I steered into wrong direction. I recommended Hashimoto MC-10 Sut for his 0.3mV Benz cart and POS Audio Research SP16 pre . Well , ARC pre is not a POS but it has close to nothing overload tolerance . Somehow during 2 weeks trial periods with the records he played it was all OK but afterwards the SUT started overloading phono input on new music he bought so he is on the quest to find something in 1:10 range and similar quality since he really , really likes the way Hashimoto sounds .Reading some posts on forums I was let to believe Cinemag CM-1131 and 1254 are comparable with even better frequency extremes than Hashimoto . Would that be not true?
Regards, L

Yes, the HM3. Interestingly I run a Benz Ruby 2, (0.3mV), into a heavily modded Hagerman Cornet2. I did have to up the load at the phono pre to prevent ringing. The combination is very good, but the Cornet2 has huge overload headroom. (250mV @1kHz). Prior to the Hashimoto's I built a SUT with the Cinemag CM-1254 Red, then CM1254 Blue. This was a couple of years ago. I think that the red is now the standard CM-1254 and the blue is now the 1131. When I bought the blues, they were hand wound by David.

As I mentioned previously, the Cinemags are a great value. If you could not do a direct comparison to the Hashimoto's, you would be most happy with them. But my experience is the the Hashimoto's are better in almost every aspect, in my system. As to frequency extremes, I will have to pass on that. I run 45 SET's into rebuilt '60's EV Sentry IVA horns. Not much below 50hz or above 16KHz. But between those...heaven.

The Cinemag CM1254 blues SUT still see duty with my Thorens TD124 and Soundsmith rebuilt Supex SD-900 cartridge. (0.2mV).

BTW, I do have a pair of new blues if you are interested.

Cheers,
Geary

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.