Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Help Wanted: Need some drilling and holes punched.
Help Wanted: Need some drilling and holes punched.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help Wanted: Need some drilling and holes punched.

I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I bought a chassis from a gentleman in the US last year. He was kind enough to custom drill holes and punch out and IEC socket hole for a little bit of an extra cost on top of his custom case. He's no longer with us. He had an untimely passing in December. Anyways, I've been able to acquire another similar chassis, but don't have the means to properly drill and punch holes because of lack of space and tools. If anyone knows someone that can do this for a cost let me know. I'd love to speak with you.

Regards,
Mull3t
Old 30th June 2013, 05:29 AM   #2
dchisholm is offline dchisholm  United States
diyAudio Member

The Yellow Pages headings "Machine Shops" or "Sheet Metal Fabricators" may be a place to start.

Since chassis parts can be expensive and bulky to mail from place to place, I'd suggest mentioning at least your general location.

Dale
Old 30th June 2013, 07:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

You bring up a good point about shipping and types of places to look for. I'm in the NYC area. I've emailed one local place. I'll most likely email a few more. I figured someone in this community might be a good source as well.
Old 2nd July 2013, 03:07 AM   #4
dchisholm is offline dchisholm  United States
diyAudio Member

If you can find a local club, that may give you contacts for places to get the work done - or even a buddy who might do it in exchange for a serving or two of his favorite malt beverage. I know such organizations are nearly extinct but if there are any surviving specimens I'll wager there is one in your region.

Dale
Old 2nd July 2013, 04:25 AM   #5
deicide67 is offline deicide67  United States
diyAudio Member

Where is "The dark side of the moon"? It helps to actually put your location in your description pane. I've, as mentioned punched, cut and drilled for locals. Not because it's easy, but I get it.
Old 2nd July 2013, 05:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It's on the side you don't see.

As I've previously mentioned a few posts up I'm in the NYC area. I'm willing to travel locally within a 2 hour range.

I'm running my first head-fi meet this fall. I'll see if I can find any DIYers that could help out before then.
Old 2nd July 2013, 05:19 AM   #7
deicide67 is offline deicide67  United States
diyAudio Member

Well,

I'm about as far as possible from you, but there are a bunch of folks up there that DIY.

You could FleaBay a punch also.
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
zcables is offline zcables  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't email a shop as you most likely will not get a reply. I'd pick a few your are interested in, then just stop by with your project and ask for a quote. Don't ask them if they do that work, they'll tell you if they don't, and always act like you know what you're doing and they are just one piece of your work that day.
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:55 PM   #9
toprepairman is offline toprepairman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Punched holes are usually made when the sheet metal is flat and before bending. If it is already bent then is much more difficult to do with conventional cheap punches, almost impossible, so you're back to drilling out the approximate profile and finishing off with files. Patience, care and time are key ingredients here.
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:46 PM   #10
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the material being cut? Steel or aluminum? How thick is it? A mill tends to tear at sheet metal, but 1/8" + cuts fine. I have a mill and could make this happen if you want to ship the parts to Vermont.

If it is sheetmetal, I would look for someone with a waterjet machine.

Help Wanted: Need some drilling and holes punched.Hide this!Advertise here!