• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB pair of Scanspeak 18W 8545

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks.

I already have a pair of Scanspeak tweeters so I would prefer matching them with SS mid bass drives if I can get them, it's possible that the Usher offer may be for mids and tweeters bundled.. In addition since the project allows me time, I prefer to wait and watch.

Kevlar cone versus carbon fibre impregnated cone may be difficult for me to tame. I will wait and see if an 18W 8545 comes up
I found this comparison on an older thread

This has been discussed at length at DIY sites many many times.
They are overall much alike in performance, but with differences in tone and flavor. But still very minute.

The 8545 has a deeper/darker bass/midrange presentation than the 8546 but hardly found in meter measurements.

The 8546 has a lighter midrange presentation than the 8545.

The 8545 has more body to vocals. The 8546 has greater decay to the midrange instruments.

Both are difficult to use in a two way system. The 8546 is actually easier to xover than the 8545 as a two way, but still not for the "less is more" xover approach.

Both are superior to the 8542 in overall performance, but it doesn't sound drastically different. Same basic $ so go with either 8545 or 8546.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.