• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mark Levinson ML-3 in excellent condition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
For Sale - Mark Levinson ML-3. This thing is a monster. 200wpc @8ohms, and 400 wpc at 4 ohms. 20 output devices (ML15011/12?) each side, and two 1.2KVA trannies in a dual mono. Later model (1987?) with CAMAS Connections and Damping switch.

Also includes CAMAC to RCA Adapters, and a pair of 10' of Esoteric Audio SPEED CABLE speaker cables with the ML Proprietary speaker connections

Original Box included.

Works perfectly. Prefer local sale, but may ship....at 140#, it won't be cheap...

From Wikipedia

The Mark Levinson ML-3 is a 200 W per channel dual monaural Class AB2 power amplifier that uses toroidal transformers. Produced between 1979 and 1987 the ML-3 is two electrically separate amplifiers in one chassis, hence the name "Dual Monaural". It also featured discrete circuit construction, no integrated circuits were incorporated in order to keep the signal pure.
Archetype of American highend, highpower amplifier.
Design credit: Thomas P. Colangelo

[edit] Specifications

* 200W/ch @ 8 ohms, 400W/Ch @ 4 ohms, 800W/Ch @ 2 ohms
* Max output: 45 Volts 30 Amps
* Two 1,2 kVa Avel Lindbergh Torodial trafos, 4 Sprague 36,000 uF/100 Volts Capacitors and 40 output devices (20 per channel)
* Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.2% THD
* Gold Plated Camac Input Connectors
* Adjustable AC Voltage: No,factory set
* Adjustable Output Damping Toggle Switches (one per channel)(in later models only)
* Weight: 116 lbs, 56 kilograms

I have seen a few on fleabay go for $2000, so send me your offers...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Nope. I believe the ML-3 was fully Class AB, and ran cool as a cucumber. I never messed with the bias...a waste of heatsinks if you ask me...sounded quite nice tho...

The original owner also had an Audible Illusions Modulus 3 that had a faceplate that was also completely faded away...both of them were right in front of a huge picture window...they were Sun Bleached...

I have been looking for some Levinson Cables to use with my ML1 and ML2's
I have been watching ebay for some time and have found some at a decent start price I am bidding on
I am only wanting 1 set, but the seller has multiple sets available as well as 2 single cables.
If anyone else is looking for the same cables have a look.
It may well be worth getting them just for the connectors.
and they offer Worldwide Shipping.
Jonnie

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

item number 320750367467

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The connector it's a Lemo model FFA 00 (attached pic of the connector). Also exist an adaptor Lemo to RCA called Camac: it's a Lemo model FFC 00 (attached pic of the adaptor)

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 309
Camacs plugs are the original WW Fischers Levinson used.
Cable does not look as the original silvercable from Levinson.
When I had a ML-7A and a pair of ML-2's I ordered a camac to camac cable with Lemo's the other Swiss camacsystem plug Levinson used before the WW Fischers.
L00L00-174D-20: Coaxial Cable, Lemo 00 to Lemo 00, RG174 dual, 20 foot, 50 ohm (NIM/CAMAC)
I think they can make any cable you want at a acceptable price.

Don't be fooled by the Levinson hype regarding cables and or plugs because you can still order them normally at the firms that delivered them to MLAS at the eighties or other firms.

thks Brian

any idea on availability of lemo-rca adapters?
You have to check first at www.lemo.com but I've never seen them.
I'm sure WW Fischer makes them from male camac to female cinch see the picture from my ML-7.
Later ons I never used these adapters because they're expensive and I would opt for an cable without adapters.
Your ML-1 and ML-2's have both camacs don't they?

Attachments

• ML-7 with Fischer camac to cinch converters.JPG
    ML-7 with Fischer camac to cinch converters.JPG
    858.9 KB · Views: 228
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.