Recommendation for sub driver UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Here is the thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24534&highlight=Faraday+ring

Pay special attention to the link in post #31 by Paul Spencer and the illustration in post #36 by Stephen D.

Since that time, I have come to the conclusion that is possible not to have cone displacement near resonance without either an extended pole piece or a Faraday ring. A T sha[ped yoke is also effective. However, if you have none of these, there is a chance you might. If you have a Tshaped yoke, or an extended pole piece, or a Faraday ring, you can be pretty sure you won't experience displacement near resonance.

A T shaped yoke is illustrated in that post #36.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Here is another thread on the subject.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4524&highlight=

The pole piece is not made of aluminum, but of a magnetic material. Iron alloy, I think. Magnetic, anyway.

Together, the voice coil and the pole piece form an electromagnet. In most electromagnets, the windings are in contact with the core. Here, the voice coil is the windings for the pole piece, which is the core. Since the voice coil must move back and forth, it cannot be in contact with the pole piece, but the gap between them is very small-about five thousandths of inch, I think. It varies speaker to speaker.

dokter dB said:
ok...
they have tested the peerless vs lab12 in a 50 L sealed enclosure....
lab12 is better and peerless sounds "wooly"....
I dont know, sounds a bit like a subjective test.....

50 liters would put the Q for the Peerless at around .39, way overdamped. Would that make it sound "wooly"? Try 30L or less. In a 50 liter box, the Lab12 has a Q of around .7.

Prices over here are sometimes a lil off the mark with certain things. I remember when I wanted to buy some w15cy's at wilmslow, they were way too expensive like £150 ea. I found the imported for the UK and asked them for prices, they quoted me higher ! Soon after that wilmslow were made the sole supplier of Seas to the UK subsequently seas prices dropeed to about £100 for a w15.

I recently bought a copy of LSPCAD pro, so I emailed ingemar directly, price came out at about £460. I looked to the states came out at £350, go figure. Needless to say it doesnt take a genius to work out who I bought from. Oh and this included air freight and UK VAT.

The one thing we deffinately get a good deal on the Scan speak ss2905/970000. A pair here costs £188 with our VAT. Madisound prices with our VAT come out at £229. This is with a very good exchange rate atm of 1.83 dollas to the pound.

Most things are more expensive, but you get the occasional cheaper thing here.

Oh and pinkmouse, wilmslow have never sold a 850146 at that high price you stated earlier on :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.