Please help me out with my new adire tumult setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just built a new sub, and so far not impressed at all. Heres how it lays out
Adire Tumult 15" MK1
Dayton 500Watt Plate Amp
BOX: Ported (nearly 5 ft long port) little over 5 cubic feet
A friend designed the box and I just made it. So far im pretty unsatasified with the setup. It seams very weak. When I turn the gain up on the amp....it cuts out (led turns red and I have to cycle the power) Ive played with the EQ on it extensively, and the furthest I can have the Gain is at 50%. Is the amp shutting off because the woofer cant handle the load or becuase the amp can not take being up that high. This is the first sub I built so I am new to all this. Please let me know what to change if anything at all......

Thanks in advance
Chris

What diameter is the port? 5 ft long is definitely many times too long no matter what diameter it is.

The amp is shutting down I suspect because you may be asking too much of it, or it's faulty. It's unlikely to be 500 real watts. That said, even 250 which it's likely to be is a lot of power for a large (efficient) box. Are you trying to fill a hall or something?

Also bear in mind that if your source level is quite high you won't be able to have the gain up much. The gain dial is not a simple 'power' dial.

You a noob?

Welcome to diyAudio.com. I'd go with richie000boy, he knows loads more than me. He's helped me with my Linkwitz Transform sub, everything from measuring the driver's Thiele/Small parameters to cutting my box up and then he's helped with the electronics too.

But to be honest, everybody is here to help one another. I used to frequent the 'Audio Asylum', but these days, I like to reside here.

So hello to you.

Cheers Mike:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.