8 x 12 Tang Band

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all-

I have always been impressed with the "sound" of the bass 6 x 9 woofers have made and I recently saw the new TANG BAND W8Q-1071 (8 x 12) and am thinking of trying it in my brothers vehicle as an experiment..

Currently he has two 8's on a Kenwood mono amp and it sounds good but as usual they always want a little more.. :)

Has anyone tried these, and do we have a recommended box type and size?

EDIT: How about "freeware" for box calculations? Anyone have one they recommend?

Parts Express has the 8x12 at a reasonable price...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Troy,

I think the idea of an oval woofer or in this case, epitrochoidal, is that you get some advantages of the larger diameter but it still fits in narrow areas. I can't think that making it this shape does anything to improve the sound and so, if possible, get a larger woofer for your brother unless it won't fit. Perhaps even consider a better 8" unit.

Mind you, in the back of my mind, I've always wanted to use that shape. Remember the Kef 139's?

The use of that woofer is purpose driven.. He has 9"wide x 14"long x 8"tall under each rear seat in the Chevrolet 3500HD truck. I put an 8" unit under each seat horn loaded (sot of, downward facing vented to the front) and it really does sound nice for the pwr / driver combo..

The 8 x 12 would maximize all surface area available under the seat and I could use the servo controller on them to compensate for the smaller box volume if required.

But if the woofers just plain sound bad or others have had issues with them I would then opt for 2 x 6.5" woofers per side such as the Tang Band W6-1139SG 6-1/2" .

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-832

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.