PE 500S coupled with Hi-Vi SP10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone! =D

I'm interested in building a new subwoofer for my basement apartment. I was thinking of going with the Parts Express 500S Digital BASH plate amp combined with the SP10, since they have similar capacities.

One thing I am unsure of though, is the type of box I should house them in. My mate told me that a bandpass box was probably my best bet as they seem to maintain a constant low note. I purchased three full sheets of 3/4" plywood (not MDF) and am thinking about laminating two of the sheets together to form a 1 1/4" (because we all know 3/4" plywood isn't actually three quarters of an inch) piece of plywood that I can use to build a reletively large box out. But some rough dimensions and whatnot would be a great help.

Here are the links:

driver - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-460
amp - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-752

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Braden.

Any reason why you are limiting yourself to a 10" woofer? Can you give some more information about what enclosure size you are limited to. How big is your basement?

In general, I would not recommend a bandpass enclosure for 99% of applications. For a small room, a low Q (.5-.6) sealed subwoofer is a good first project. For a large room, a vented cabinet can be a good choice.

Here's a great place to get more info:

www.diysubwoofers.org

EDIT: For an apartment, a dipole subwoofer can be a good choice, because you can play it louder before you annoy the neighbors.

-Dan

Thank you for your reply!

I wouldn't say I'm limiting myself to a 10", that was just a rough starting point. I would go to a 12" driver if I could find something that looks as burly as that Hi-Vi does. I'm not limiting my enclosure size either, I'll build it as big as I can to attain the frequencies I desire.

I'd like to keep it under four sheets of 3/4" plywood though. the sub would be used in a variety of rooms, ranging from about 12'x15' to about 20'x48'. So bandpass is out of the question then it seems like, I guess thats mainly a car type of box.

PS: my "neighbors" don't really matter. I live with all my friends. So loud music isn't really a concern, especially if its coming from my dungeon! :D

Thank you sirs!

braden

10" subs may look burly, but the low bass performance just isn't there against larger drivers in the same price range.

Instead of the HiVi SP10, consider the Dayton Refernce 12" HF in a 3 cu. ft. sealed enclosure.

If you have the space, the Dayton Reference 15" HF, in a 6 cu ft. sealed enclosure would be a step up.

When you build the box, try to make the front baffle as small as possible. Don't worry about getting the volume exactly 3 or 6 cubic feet. You could build the enclosure twice as large, and it would still sound good. Your choice of amp is good for both of the above woofers.

Dan

Dan,

I thank you for your time and thoughtful reply. I will definately take those suggestions into account when I order my components.

12" MKIII

12" EMINENCE GENII

Just to throw a few more into the fray. If anyone has any comments on these units I'd like to hear :)

I am going to construct the box out of double-laminated 3/4" plywood. and for mounting the actual driver I was going to use grade 8 allen bolt hardware, and drill holes through the box and seal both the head and nut end with some type of silicone and using LocTight on the threads. I want this box to be as bomb-proof as possible. Since I know I'll never actually utilize all 500W (although knowing it's there is rather nice). When I do things, I like to do them right.

Thanks

bradent

so i've been talking to a few mates of mine, and i've been informed that i'm probably going to get burned @ customs when the package from parts express comes.

so i've been looking around on the net to find some canadian retailers that sell drivers and plate amps, and i'm not having much luck at all. i did find one guy out in BC who sells the exact amp i was looking @ and he sells a 12" subwoofer as well.

here is the link
css sd12

anyone from canada have any links they'd like to share? :D

Canadian Suppliers

For diy audio solen is one of the most common canadian suppliers. There website is not as user friendly as parts express and I don't think they carry plate amps.

Creative Sound has the Bash Plate amp also. I haven't ordered from them yet but they have good products.
If you get a shipment through UPS you pay a noticable amount for them to take it through customs.
The worst I ever paid at delivery by UPS was about $59 cdn (~$200 american package) from parts express. Thats for customs, taxes ect.
Postal service is far cheaper in that way.

braden said:
with some type of silicone and using LocTight on the threads.

Hi Braden, good idea of loading the thread holes with silicone. Makes a good seal, prevents the bolts from loosening but still allows you to remove the driver if there's ever a problem. Use silicone, not other caulks. Others can be too good of a seal and make it hard to pull the driver.

Loctight is an no-no. For the same reason engines are bolted to the vehicle, not welded.

i did find one guy out in BC who sells the exact amp i was looking @ and he sells a 12" subwoofer as well. [/B]

Bob at CSS is a great guy. Prices reasonable, good sevice. I use him for a lot of my stuff.

He's very patient with me. ;)

solen,sells plate amps and the sp10.braden,when in ontario are you?

i just got my Solen CD catalog in the mail and the prices don't seem to be that far off either.! i am located about two hours north of Toronto near Collingwood. how 'bout yourself?

Hi Braden, good idea of loading the thread holes with silicone. Makes a good seal, prevents the bolts from loosening but still allows you to remove the driver if there's ever a problem. Use silicone, not other caulks. Others can be too good of a seal and make it hard to pull the driver.

thanks for your input! i -thought- that loctite would be good just for the vibration (i know on my bike, if i don't use loctite on my brakes or cranks, then they will eventually wiggle loose), but if its not needed, no problem! :D

i'm still in a heavy development stage as it goes. i haven't ordered anything as of yet, but i have procured a 10" subwoofer (from logitech z560) that i might use to build a "practice enclosure" just to hone my skills a bit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.