Closed sub box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I am going to be building a pair of closed ‘subs’ that I would like to be good up to 400Hz. I have got a pair of Eminence Magnum 12” drivers which sound excellent right up to 1.3KHz so that should not be a problem. I also have a digital crossover so I can EQ the roll-off that will occur in a closed box.

Basically I wondered if you have any tips for box construction? Are non-parallel walls something to use in a sub or does it not matter because of the huge wavelengths? Should I just go for something simple like ¾” MDF with a matrix or other bracing inside and heavy acoustic filling?

I was planning to try aluminium honey-comb for the box but my funds are running out so I think its going to be MDF for now :(

Shelf bracing is best IMO but you can get good results from rib braces like you propose. As for filling, bonded acetate fibre (BAF) wadding used for furniture and bedding stuffing is good, easy to work with and cheap. Don't pack it too much though.

Bear in mind that your fancy digital EQ will be useless if you 1) haven't the power to feed the subs and 2) want more SPL than the EQd subs can give. For a PA-type application vented is 99.9% times the winner.

The best thing to do is to try both ways and find the best fit for your situation. I would suggest three tests:

- test with no stuffing
- test with average (say 0.5 - 1lb per cu. ft.)
- test with very tightly packed stuffing

Also try normal fibreglass - R8-R12 - it works well too and is fairly inexpensive.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.