what peerless driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm planning to build a sub, and I came across two driver from peerless:

Peerless SLS-12
http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=38

Peerless CC-260
http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=191

From a quick simulation with winISD they both reach low F3. I don't have problem of building big cabinet and neither of space. I'm going to use the sub with a pair of B&W monitor. What driver should I buy? wich has the best quality? from what I see the SLS series is a raplacement of the Classic series, right?

thank you very much

johngalt47 said:
The second driver appears to have been discontinued.

So, its better the first.:D

I would go for closed box.

1. Vc=75 L for Qtc=0.71 Fc=49 Hz
2. Vc=95 L for Qtc=0.6 Fc=45 Hz
3. Vc=125 L for Qtc=0.5 Fc=41.5 Hz

Try 2. Vc=95 L, x-over 12dB/oct. at 75-80 Hz.
It could be something about 87-88 dB/1W/1m.
Monitors should be less. If its not, with this unit, you must go on bass-reflex (90-91 dB) or active.

I made some simulation with lspcad lite:
for the first driver 309 liters with 2 reflex tube 10cm diamater 16cm long, so it goes around 21hz

for the second
131 liters reflex tube 10cm diameter and 26cm long and so we're again near 20hz

it's active, I already found a good amplifier with 100w on 8ohm

So, its better the first.

why? is there some reason? because dicontinued means just that they no longer produce it, not that the newer version of thing should be necessary better. The big difference, to my "audio rookie" eyes, is that the first is 30cm with paper cone and the second is 24cm with polypropylene cone.

If the quality is equal or very similar naturally I would choose the first because it's bigger, and it's newer and if I'll broke it( but I don't think so) I will get better support.

thank you to all

testarossa2k said:
I made some simulation with lspcad lite:
for the first driver 309 liters with 2 reflex tube 10cm diamater 16cm long, so it goes around 21hz

for the second
131 liters reflex tube 10cm diameter and 26cm long and so we're again near 20hz

thank you to all

Eternal story about simulations. If you do it, you will blue it.:D

Did you see anywhere/anytime 310 L bass-reflex box with 30 cm bass?

If you go with BR: Vb=110L, Fb=28.5-29.5 Hz, Dt=100 mm, Lt=160-190mm. Don"t ask how I calculate this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.