Here is My New Project, Lets see yours.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my new project I have to calculate the measurements still so I will update it later. Hey, Do you have any designs done by yourself?
If you do just post it here for everyone to see it you don't mind. No matter if others don't like it, as long as you do.

Attachments

• my new project.jpg
    my new project.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 970
This is one of my more recent box builds for my car. Dual chambered ported box, I'm running twin amps, so each sub gets its own box in case either amp is slightly off from the other. Ports tuned for 32hz and measure 2" x 12.5" x 28" if I recall correct and each woofer is fed about 600RMS watts.

100_2504.jpg

100_2512.jpg

100_2514.jpg

100_2524.jpg

100_2526.jpg

box.jpg

100_2714.jpg

Aw don't cry...

maybe this will make you feel better!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Actual Quote:

"Tom... this thing is HUGE""

Yes it's a Jensen Imperial Horn, and yes even with low power and just a set of 10's or 12's it shakes the house pretty good. The only sad news is that it's been in storage for the last 3 years and never gets used

Great Job !!!

Damn they look great, I like how the car speaker box and a home speaker box look, but I like car speakers more because it take more design a car than a house because a car as limited space compared to a house. So, "Small space, big sound," is my motto.

Hey

Awesome im doing a project like that right now at college, and I just got my subs from ebay today,

Mines not for my car though, its for my room, my current project involves a 500 watt rms bash amp, 2 x alpine type R's and a 100 litre vented box tuned to 25hz, with extreme bracing

(well i think it is) and 25mm walls and YES OMG A 50mm baffle look at photo

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/239/mainframe0hs.png

Ill send photos of finished project as soon as possible

Re: Great Job !!!

RWF said:
Damn they look great, I like how the car speaker box and a home speaker box look, but I like car speakers more because it take more design a car than a house because a car as limited space compared to a house. So, "Small space, big sound," is my motto.

Big sound about sums it up, those subs are quite capable of shaking me nicely in places only my wife is sopposed to. I usually don't have them turned up that loud, just when showing off for friends and what not, for daily driving they are usually turned down fairly low, enough for a bit of a kick without being stupid.

And to help keep up with the subs I built these pannels, sounds pretty damn good for a car stereo. And before anyone makes fun of the color sceme, the black is a temp thing. I'm looking into getting them upholstered but for test listening and fitment nothing is cheaper then a couple cans of spray paint laying around in the garage

100_2703.jpg

100_2718.jpg

100_2717.jpg

Toast_Master said:
Also nice job on boxes, I wish mine looked so clean,

With the shop I see in the background of your picture, you should be able to make yours look uber clean. I wish I had nice equipment to work with, I have very limited tools. Right now I don't even have a table saw!

Do you expect such a duct reflex to be tuned at the expected frequency, or even to resonate at all, with hatchback walls so close to it's mouth? Even a wall placed one feet away from such a reflex will start to detune it.

Also, how are the waves expected to reach the cabin without being distorted, coloured and attenuated by hatchback wall mechanical resonances and the acoustical resonances of the remaining cavities?

I see plenty of bad design practices there.

Eva said:
Do you expect such a duct reflex to be tuned at the expected frequency, or even to resonate at all, with hatchback walls so close to it's mouth? Even a wall placed one feet away from such a reflex will start to detune it.

Also, how are the waves expected to reach the cabin without being distorted, coloured and attenuated by hatchback wall mechanical resonances and the acoustical resonances of the remaining cavities?

I see plenty of bad design practices there.

The box actualy sits a fair ways back from where the picture shows, not that it makes a large difference but you get probably a good 8" or so from the "mouth" of the ports to the trunk lid so hopefully that'll make you feel a bit better.

And as far as the bad design practices go, to each their own. I've tried alot of boxes in my car... sealed... ported... bandpass... free air with the subs facing into the cab sealed from the trunk (different subs then the ones shown) and they all have their pros and cons, I've just always liked the way the subs sounded with them facing into the trunk opposed to into the cab, I normally wouldn't have put the subs on the top of the box opposed to the same side as the ports, but damage prevention took hold and I figure they are much safer on the top. And mounting them up there opposed to towards the back, didn't make any leaps and bounds of difference so I'll settle for it.

It's easy to come onto a forum with text book answers and a self awarded god of audio complex and try to cut down peoples work, that's how some people get off and maybe that's the same for your case I don't know. But what I do know is I've been around long enough, built/played/toyed around with enough systems to determine what I enjoy and what puts a smile on my face and this box easily does and I've been complemented on not only the sheer raw output of the box (if turned up) but also how well it can blend in and sound very musical. And these compliments aren't comming from your typical 16yr old stoner bass head, it's competition judges, friends who've been installers for years, and of course general friends who like going for a cruise listening to good music.

So in short, I don't go by what the text books say or word of mouth designs, stereo's are far to subjective for that. Do and build what you like and don't listen to the desktop warriors who generally have far less hands on experience then you do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.