200w Amp + 900w Sub = explosion? 56k Warning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, to start off, nothing has exploded yet, and I hope to keep it that way. So this is where you guys come in.

I started with THIS SUBWOOFER that I got from BestBuy. I decided to not get the warranty for once, so naturally it either never worked, or I broke it. I tried breaking it in slowly, but it would keep cutting out if I turned it up to an audible level (audible over the music).

So I gave up on it and bought a new sub:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and a 1400w amp that won't be delivered until Tuesday. Unfortunately I'm not that patient. So I'm wondering if I can hook up this amp:...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

to these terminals:...

with these wires (I would have to cut and strip the ends):...

and not have any real complications or explosions. Of course I realize that I won't get 900w of sound from this setup, but I can't wait until Tuesday for some bass. Thanks for the help!!

itll work fine, remember an amplifier isnt delivering all its pwoer all the time, when you turn down the volume the wattage decreases.

HOWEVER! do not crank this thing, its a 200watt amp yes, but if you crank it beyond its limits it will clip which COULD cause some VC meltage.

ALSO that sub PROBABLY wont take 900 rms, id say half that, although im not familiar with that brand, i used to be really into car audio(without a car...i know i know, real smart) and have seen countless very similar subs(wolfenhag, ppi, pyle) that look burly in that same cheesy way and boast power levels far beyond what they could take for more than a second.

melt down waiting to happen...

usually NOT ENOUGH power kills speakers. Drive the amp into clipping, and a voltage spike occurs, which is essentially an "out of control" high voltage.

Unless you have the amplifier specifications. I wouldn't waste your time or money (you run the risk of killing the sub). If not stated precicely, car audio specs are pretty notorious. EG, a "200 watt" amplifier, may only produce a total of 200 Watts@1kHz, for 10 ms, RMS. That is the long standing "rule of thumb" , and the way many car audio companies write their specifications.

now, The "1400 watt" amp will drive the sub like no tomorrow... BUT you run the risk of thermal overload and burning the voice coils as well (although rarely , unless you don't like your ears much).

Please consider the prevalence of hearing loss in people under the age of 25 or so. Many have had permanent damage done to their ears by listening to too much bass, too often. A single exposure to 130 dBs can ruin (as in permanently damage) your hearing for the rest of your life.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.