6th-order Bandpass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What lets a 6th-order bandpass subwoofer play so darn LOUD? I'm looking for SPLs and fairly tight punch. My current ported (EBS) box has slow bass, so I want something that will give me tight, firm, loud bass. I ocasionally take my stereo to parties, so SPL is important to me.

I want to build the loudest subwoofer I can with my two 8" pioneer woofers, and I've heard the 6th-order Acoustimass subwoofers and thought that they had some pretty okay sound for their tiny size.

What are the caveats that I need to be aware of, besides the uneven frequency response characteristic of bandpass subwoofers that might affect this 6th-order bandpass project?

What lets a 6th-order bandpass subwoofer play so darn LOUD?

==========
Gain and bandwidth are inversely proportional. If high gain is important, bandwidth must be sacrificed (and vice versa).
==========

I'm looking for SPLs and fairly tight punch...
....so I want something that will give me tight, firm, loud bass.

==========
Sealed and/or emphasis on frequencies around 50Hz would meet this requirement.
==========

My current ported (EBS) box has slow bass,

==========
There is no such thing as slow bass. Although a system with a fairly high group delay will manifest such a poor bass performance. Likewise when inadequate drivers are used.
==========

I want to build the loudest subwoofer I can with my two 8" pioneer woofers

==========
With those drivers, a 6th-order BP box is your best bet :)
==========

and I've heard the 6th-order Acoustimass subwoofers and thought that they had some pretty okay sound for their tiny size.

==========
some of those Acoustimass modules are of the 8th-Order type.
==========

What are the caveats that I need to be aware of, besides the uneven frequency response characteristic of bandpass subwoofers that might affect this 6th-order bandpass project?

==========
you'll almost surely have to build a big and heavy box :D
==========

Good luck!

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.