extreme output bass. i need expert help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I only hope that your thinking doesn't prevent Jadenlinkletter from simulating this speaker, as that would be a shame and my main goal here.

This FR graph is telling you very little information you'll need to know for the speakers intended usage, if at all. Just simulate this speaker and compare it to this 4,0 pi (!) measurement.

Stop thinking, start knowing.

Wkr Johan

The only comment I'd make is that Jadenlinkletter needs a sub that is "kickass" from <45Hz-100Hz, in a marketplace populated with high output pro-drivers; convince me that this driver is going to hit 95dB @1W @45Hz in anything other than a horn (which we're not doing) & I'll be really interested to hear how.

uh oh

So i threw my 15 inch dvc into a 4 cubic foot sealed box for a q of .703

i was just listening to it whisper low because everyone is asleep, but i decided to give it one good crank, but the volume button on my keyboard stuck on and my 2600 watt rms pro sound amp's gain was all the way up. all i heard was a big pop now the sub sounds distorted and theres a rattle somewhere in the sub. i cna hear it really good when i put my ear up the hole in the back of the magnet structure.

fixable or not fixable?

and what could it be? fried voice coil?

thanks

Linkletter

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Jezz, Johan, I think you're both arguing from the same side! ;) For PA, Horn loaded 18"s are the way to go!

Johan, that's a nice dealer you linked to a couple of pages ago. Interesting to see those DAS drivers. I've seen them before in boxes, but never been aware of a dealer for them.

JDL, if you haven't looked at that site yet, do so. If you click on the construction links it has some good box designs, including a few of Rog Mogales' ones. That should give you an idea of which way to go.

BassAwdyO said:
Simon5,

you are very confusing....

If he's got 4 drivers and they're wired to be the same load as a single driver(series-parallel, or parallel-series) they will automatically be +6db of efficiency so long as the center to center distance of their cones is less than one half of the wavelength of the highest frequency being reproduced.

Since there are four drivers the power handling is increased by 4, or 6db in other words making the Maximum output 12db greater for 4 drivers as compared to a single.

You are right, but he was talking about sensivity, so loudness with 2.83V RMS imput at 1 meter distance. I was only saying that he will be at 96.4 dB sensivity no matter what he does.

So any pro driver with 96.4 dB sensivity or higher is better if it's cheaper than four DVC drivers.

A bunch of DVC drivers won't cut it.

So any pro driver with 96.4 dB sensivity or higher is better if it's cheaper than four DVC drivers.

I know you're not just saying that about dvc drivers in general. We're talking about those particular dayton drivers right?

The assumtion that if a particular pro driver has better sensitivity then it will be better than four of the daytons is incorrect. I believe the threadstarter wanted that particular something that offered the highest output with an enclosure size limit and at the lowest price. While driver efficiency may be a good place to start, its not the only factor in this.

I agree fully, however, that a high efficiency driver is the ticket here. Sd will probably be high, Xmax will probably be low Vas will probably be high, but if Fs is reasonably low then the extension should be decent in a moderate enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.