trying to figure out a cheap sub setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've been reading the board, checking out sites and I've been trying to figure out a mostly musical sub that can do some pretty good rumbling when called upon for a relatively low cost. I've been into car audio for about ten years but not so much into the home audio market.. anyways I've found a couple of items on sale that I wondered if you guys had any input on. A TC sounds TC2+ 10" dvc woofer on sale for $99 and a 150 watt @ 8 ohms dayton amp on sale at partsexpress for $99. It has pretty good xmax but isn't all the efficient so I'm not sure that 150 watts would be enough to really push it. Any input on the quality or thoughts on the idea would be greatly appreciated.. or even another alternative. I think I'm just rambling now.

Bruce

I found i through a link on here. I imagine its their home page. The rule there is no replacement for displacement seems to be popular around here. If the 120 one on partsexpress is better then the tc2 in sound quality then I'm all for it but if its just going to get louder then I'll take the sq. I've never heard either or know much about either so I'm having to depend on yalls opinions. The mentioned amp I believe would still be only 150 watts @ 8 ohms. Thanks for the input so far.

Bruce

High output woofer got slightly less excursion, slightly less sensivity, more power handling and is better suited for smaller enclosures.

I don't know what's the difference besides that. Probably a bit less SQ.

The Rythmik Audio amplfier is a "kind of" modded PartsExpress amplifier. It have better SQ and no bass boost.

I don't know if that Dayton amplifier is better than before and if it still have the bass boost.

Maybe ask Rythmik and PartsExpress for more information.

With the HF, a typical 16x16x16 cube would be a nice start to have about 0.707 Qtc.

You can play with the dimensions as you wish, box size for sealed is less important than ported, but I would stay around 2.0 to 2.5 cu.ft internal net with 250W.

If it's too big, the HO can fit in way smaller boxes.

So I was looking at partsexpress and realized that the titanic is only 30 bucks more then the RS. Is it worth the 30 bucks? and if it is would I need more then 250 watts to power it. Would the 350 watt amp for 40 bucks more be worth it. So I guess the three options are the RSHF with 250 watts, the titanic with 250 watts, or the titanic with 350 watts. When I say is it worth it keep in mind the SAF. She doesn't even think I should have a sub at all, but I told her if she wasn't going to get me one for Christmas then she would be getting one. Thanks!

Bruce

Some people bitched about the SQ in the Titanic line because it's an old design with improperly vented polepiece/spider combo I've heard. If you're going to cross it over very low, I'd guess you'll have no problems. On the other hand, I think the HF and HO are both better woofers, less excursion for sure, but better SQ, triple shorting rings and all other improvements.

It depends on what do you want. Very deep bass will be better with the Titanic for sure.

You would not need a bigger amp, but you can use one to get a bit louder if you wish to, whatever woofer you choose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.