Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speaker dent
Speaker dent
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2005, 08:41 PM   #1
datboip is offline datboip  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker dent

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

A buddy of mine just sold me a speakr...
and the inside dome thing is bend in...
its an wesome 2000wat speaker...
how could i fix the dent?

I searched tha fourms and only saw somthing of a dust cap dent...
This is diffrent.
Old 20th October 2005, 09:14 PM   #2
motherone is offline motherone  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm assuming that the dust cap is plastic. Use some tape and try carefully to lift it back up. I know planet10 and a few others have some techniques they use for fixing this stuff.
Old 20th October 2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Bob2 is offline Bob2  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you have a good shop vac, just stick it on fire it up, should pop right out if the vac is strong enough.
Old 20th October 2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Speaker dent

Quote:
Originally posted by datboip
I searched tha fourms and only saw somthing of a dust cap dent...
This is diffrent.
The dust cap is dented. How's it different.? Tape or a vaccum will work fine. I prefer Tape.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 20th October 2005, 10:17 PM   #5
BassAwdyO is offline BassAwdyO  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
Method 3
Take a dowel of wood and some hot glue. Hot glue the dowel to the middle of the dustcap dent and let it dry. Then pull the dowel out and pop the dent out. When you're done simply peel off the hot glue and dowel. This should work rather well as the dustcap is probably some type of plastic and hot glue will not penetrate it and peel off after a bit of prying. If the dust cap is some sort of cardboard or paper... It will rip some material off.

I'd say this method is probably the easiest and most effective. Tape will work only if the dent wants to pop back out or the material is flimsy(I'd guess its not judging by the type of sub) or you have some REALLY strong tape. The shop vac probably wont work too well because in my recollection RF makes their dustcaps with a 3-d logo and the shop vac will likely not provide adequate suction even with a very high power vaccum.

P.S. that is the dustcap of the speaker....
Old 21st October 2005, 07:55 AM   #6
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

Another, more direct, option is to remove the metal mesh from the pole vent and use a peice of dowel or similar to push the dust cap into shape from behind.
Old 16th January 2006, 04:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i kinda forgot about this, because i havent bought an amp for the speaker. but now i got one, and i will deffinately try tha hot glue.
and wood thing.
i aint kno it was a "dust cap"
looks more... dome-ish... not cap-ish.
Old 16th January 2006, 04:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

oh and check it out, go to google.com and search my name.
DATBOIP
this thread will be near the top. lol
Old 16th January 2006, 09:00 PM   #9
BassAwdyO is offline BassAwdyO  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
Quote:
oh and check it out, go to google.com and search my name.
yeah.... or you could search for "speaker dent" and this thread would be #1
Old 16th January 2006, 09:12 PM   #10
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Speaker dent

Quote:
Originally posted by datboip
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
I had the 15" version of this sub, and from looking at that pic, the surround looks as though the cone is pushed all the way down towards the backplate of the magnet.

Does the cone move back and forth freely? My friend had a JL Audio 10W6 that froze in place in the down position. I'm guessing the VC welded itself to the pole piece. You better check and see if that Rockford isn't the same way or your "friend" just sold you a dead woofer.

Speaker dentHide this!Advertise here!