Dont want mr. Helmholtz in my sealed sub !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys ive got a problem.

Ive got mr Helmholtz resonance bothering me in my smallish sub. And its a SEALED sub, no ports !!
Its around 90 Hz and its quite a sharp peak.
Using a parametric EQ i can get it out but i want to do it acousticly.
The peak is about 6-10 dB louder than the rest looking at the settings on the EQ. I'm crossing over at 80Hz btw
If you put your mouth in the box without the driver and "hum at 90Hz" you can hear it pretty well defined and loud. There arent any other peaks present as far as i can tell.

Its a fairly smallish 18mm MDF box with about 18 liters volume for a 8" driver. I'm thinking of using a couple of them to fight room interactions. Its the fourth box ive made to try to get the enclosure out of the equasion soundwise by making it largely non square internally. The results are great but this resonance peak is difficult....

Ive tried alot of damping and so far it has only widend the peak.
I could add more but i'm afraid this will make it less "quick"

Its a fairly lightweight paper cone and this is probably the reason for beaing able to hear it so well. If i lift the driver a little off the box its really obvious.

According to Win ISD the Qts should still be around 0.37 (tight sounding) and the box F around 50 Hz. I dont notice an extreme output here.

Havent done any measurements on this box yet.
How come ive never read about this before at DIYaudio ??

Anyone any suggestions ?

Regards,
Collin

Technically it can't be Helmoltz resonance, but it can be resonance! What are the dimensions of the box? Also, how does the driver measure outside of the box and in free-air?

Are you leaking? I know that a "small" hole may have resonance issues most likely in the upper-upper range of a woofer's audible range, but it's an idea. With a Q of 0.37 you definitely have a severe resonance problem, not to sound like a broken record or anything, but WOW!

I can only think of standing waves. You mention that dampening widens the peak, well, this is exactly how dampening works and it is doing it's job--lowering the audibility of resonances.

Unfortunately it looks like you'll be building a new box, sorry man, but I'm certain that has got to be it.

Sorry, it's not the type of resonance issue you think it is. "Blowing" across the driver mount hole might give you a 90Hz hemholtz resonance, but when you mount the driver it is impossible for this to occur. Why? You don't have air moving sideways across the mounting hole with a driver mounted. Never. No way.

Not standing wave resonance either. 90Hz in a box small enough to actually move around? No chance. Way too low of a frequency to be the fundamental standing wave for any sane sized sub box.

Could be panel vibration. More likely an impedance resonance hump.

4th box? Sounds like a room problem. It's not a standing wave because the wavelength is too long at 3.8M . A 6-10db panel resonance on your box would be pretty obvious. Take it outside and give it a listen. Even money says it goes away. You probably have 2 or maybe all 3 room dimensions that are multiples of about 1.9m . If so, bass trap(s) are the only answer. You can EQ away the peak, but not unmuck the sound of a nasty room mode with that magnitude. Placement can help some or at least move the peak away from your listening position.

Rademakers said:
Do you have bracing inside? Sometimes bracing is made that way, that it acts as a port (holes in a plate). Couldn't it be a standing wave btw?

Wkr Johan

There are a few pockets of air but there is damping in there.
Im crossing over at 80 Hz so i doubt there are standing waves. The longest lenth is 40 cm.

Bose(o) said:
Technically it can't be Helmoltz resonance, but it can be resonance! What are the dimensions of the box? Also, how does the driver measure outside of the box and in free-air?

Are you leaking? I know that a "small" hole may have resonance issues most likely in the upper-upper range of a woofer's audible range, but it's an idea. With a Q of 0.37 you definitely have a severe resonance problem, not to sound like a broken record or anything, but WOW!

I can only think of standing waves. You mention that dampening widens the peak, well, this is exactly how dampening works and it is doing it's job--lowering the audibility of resonances.

Unfortunately it looks like you'll be building a new box, sorry man, but I'm certain that has got to be it.

Size = about 400x420x26 externally.
Havent measured driver in free air. However i havent noticed this peak in a square sealed box.
Unfortionately i'm not liking the sound of all that damping !
And its not really working anyway

RHosch said:
Sorry, it's not the type of resonance issue you think it is. "Blowing" across the driver mount hole might give you a 90Hz hemholtz resonance, but when you mount the driver it is impossible for this to occur. Why? You don't have air moving sideways across the mounting hole with a driver mounted. Never. No way.

Not standing wave resonance either. 90Hz in a box small enough to actually move around? No chance. Way too low of a frequency to be the fundamental standing wave for any sane sized sub box.

Could be panel vibration. More likely an impedance resonance hump.

The box is pretty stiff. It does vibrate though but not only in the middle of the panels, more like the whole box from the moving mass of the cone.
Regarding blowing over a bottle, you blow over the top but the air mass still vibrates in and out of the bottle.
I'm not blowing but humming with my mouth IN the hole where the driver should be.
I have just learned that a guitar also resonates with the air mass in the hole of te body at the lower frequencies..
thats a hole of about 100mm diameter and 3mm thick..... Due to end effects the total amount of air is much larger, something like 60-70% of the diameter on both sides of the hole.

johninCR said:
4th box? Sounds like a room problem. It's not a standing wave because the wavelength is too long at 3.8M . A 6-10db panel resonance on your box would be pretty obvious. Take it outside and give it a listen. Even money says it goes away. You probably have 2 or maybe all 3 room dimensions that are multiples of about 1.9m . If so, bass trap(s) are the only answer. You can EQ away the peak, but not unmuck the sound of a nasty room mode with that magnitude. Placement can help some or at least move the peak away from your listening position.

Yeah 3.8 m wont fit in the box.
My room is fairly large and irregular and pretty resonance free. Only a few real low bass peaks nothing at 90Hz though.
I have tried a few different spots and its still there.

I must confess though there is an intentional volume of air in front of the woofer of maybe 9 liters volume.
This volume is tapered outwards and might be the cause of it all, im not sure at this point.

I was hoping there would be another explanation...

C

Bose(o) said:
With a Q of 0.37 you definitely have a severe resonance problem, not to sound like a broken record or anything, but WOW!

If the box really is sealed (which it seems to be) then a Q of 0.37 is not a resonance problem, in fact it indicates very well damped indeed resonance.

Bose(o) said:

It can't be standing waves as the box is too small.

I'm pretty sure the room and/or positioning is the problem, especially as he has gone through so many boxes with similar problems.

Its the fourth box because i want to explore the sound contributed by the box.

Winisd calculates the Q 0.37 for this box, i dont know if it is but is very tight and detailed sounding.
This was my goal and it sounds exceptional except for the peak.

I have not noticed this in the other boxes but this could be because it is masked by the "lesser" interior quality regarding reflextions etc.

Ik you think about it this should happen in every speaker but probably isnt noticable because its damped enough, especially compared to room resonances etc.
I'm listening to another sealed speaker right now here at work and it has a simular (but much smaller) broad peak in the lows.
Its a huge room so thats not the problem. The volume is also very low.

I can imagine that a long enclosure like a transmission line but sealed will have less of this resonance effect.

I will try to stuff the holes in the driver and also listen to another square enclosure..

CO

What do you mean an intentional 9L air volume in front of the driver? Why did you leave that out of the initial post ? Of course that is the cause and it is some kind of helmholtz resonance and it's not sealed. Why waste everyone's time with inadequate information, specifically leaving out the most important aspect ? Cut whatever contraption you have on the front and your resonance will go away.

johninCR said:
What do you mean an intentional 9L air volume in front of the driver? Why did you leave that out of the initial post ? Of course that is the cause and it is some kind of helmholtz resonance and it's not sealed. Why waste everyone's time with inadequate information, specifically leaving out the most important aspect ? Cut whatever contraption you have on the front and your resonance will go away.

Sorry about that :)

I was looking (hoping) for other causes and didnt want to point everyone to the seemingly obvios as i'm still not 100% convinced this is the source of the problem.

At first i didnt think it could be the cause because Its only 13 cm deep in front of the driver and a very large area with two expanding sides like short horn. This should be reasonally damped by itself but maybe not..
I will have to do some more experimenting.

Thanks to all for the help though..

CO

Its an inexpensive MCM driver.
Picture shows predicted response and specs

Attachments

• mcm.jpg
    mcm.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 126
That's what I meant about Q=0.37. Look at that curve, there is no way box design, as entered in Win ISD, is causing the peak.

Measure in a different room and also measure outside.

Also, what's with the Front/Rear chamber, is that not BP-box? If it were two closed chambers you would hear a very muddied thump, thump.:D

I have played music and done measurements outside as well now.
I still get the same sound peak with music. Only some songs have this very noticably. Sine measurement shows nothing.

When i flip the parametric EQ on the sound is noticeably cleaner and less "bloated" You can really hear that the problem is comming from within the box.
I have also placed glue clamps on the box to see if the walls were resonating, i didnt notice any change.

I have a feeling were blaming rooms a little too often..

Its still a problematic peak but placement in a dip in the room makes it "dissapear"

I have also done measurements outside and it has a VERY smooth response. Measured at about 20cm distance on the ground with radioshack meter. Average 90-100 dB

Looking at the Winisd graph it looks exactly the same !
So there's nothing at all to see peakwise !

I'm thinking this is the wrong type of signal to be measuring with.....
A slowly evolving sinewave is too easy i geuss.
When the sweeps are going there are parts of the sweep that are clean sounding that sometimes progress into something less pure. Probably driver born distortion components but i think from the box as well. You cant see this in the SPL response ofcourse.

So how do we kill mr Helmholts without killing the music ?

CO

Going to bed now :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.