Which Audio (hifi) Sub kit do you recommend?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm planning to build a sub to augment my hifi speakers (Tannoy System 800A) and am looking for the recommendations. So far the Parts Express 10" Dayton Titanic kit apeals to me but I would like to explore other options. I would like to make sure that the sub is fast and can follow the music well. It doesn't have to be too loud or go too low, just help my main speakers.

I'm also open to following a detailed plan as opposed to just buying the whole kit.

What have you fond that works well for you in Audio setup?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rafal

I bought the Titanic III 10" after moving from a house into a condo and selling my Velodyne F-1500R. I can not believe how well the Dayton sub sounds. By far the best value in my system. Sounds tons better than the Velodyne did with music.

system is:
Bryston 4B-SST amp
Parasound PLD-1100 pre
Arcam CD
Dynaudio speakers
Dayton Titanic 10" sub

Another vote here for the rythmik. The rythmik uses a TC sounds driver, which should be comparable or a little better than the equivalent sized titanic in sound quality, though perhaps a little lower in output. What gives the rythmik the edge IMHO is the servo system and the flexibility the various EQ/damping settings on the plate amp give you. As for REL subs, I do believe they use servo feedback, so the rythmik is probably closer to them if that is the case.

Rafal said:
Hi,

I'm planning to build a sub to augment my hifi speakers (Tannoy System 800A) and am looking for the recommendations. <snip> I'm also open to following a detailed plan as opposed to just buying the whole kit.

What have you fond that works well for you in Audio setup?

Nice mains! I'm using those same drivers (Tannoy 2046) but in sealed enclosures with passive crossovers. FWIW, I've had great success integrating the Duals with JBL 2235H's in ported enclosures. The 2235H is pretty easy to find - tons of other JBL and even Peavey woofers can be reconed to 2235H spec, as well - but the downside is that you'd have to be willing to accept 6 cubic foot enclosures and heavily filter the output below 20Hz to keep the coils from jumping out of their gaps. However, if you're looking at the PE Dayton then perhaps 6 ft^3 enclosures (about 24" per side, externally) aren't for you....

Recently the subwoofer market has become a lot more competitive and drivers which are articulate and accurate are much more abundant. If you really want a SQ sub, then I'd recommend that you look at drivers which have:

* XBL2 or an alternative technology to get a flat BL curve like some of the better TC sounds drivers
* shorting rings
* servo system

You don't necessarily need all that in one driver, but I would not consider anything which doesn't have one of those 3 to be a fairly average choice.

The new PE Dayton driver with shorting rings looks very good. Worth considering. The Rythmik kit also looks excellent, although unfornate that you need to get the amp from them as well if you are in another country. Also consider the TC2+ and there are some new XBL2 subs from Acoustic Visions which are apparently similar to the Shiva and Tempest in parameters, but with a superior motor design.

I wish there was so much choice of SPL/SQ low distortion subs when I was buying!

Rafal said:
Thanks for all your replies. So far it seams that most people recommned either 10" Dayton tyttanic sealed sub or the Rythmic sub. Both seem to be similarily priced. which one would you say is better suited to HIFI? Has anyone heard both? Or does anyone know how they compare to REL subs?

Thanks,

Rafal

Rafal,

The Rythmik is my fourth DIY sub. The first was a Titanic MKIII 12"
The cab I built is 2.1f^3, sealed for a Q of 6. A very nice sub to say the least, but for sound quality, the Rythmik is the definite winner.

I just finished building the tuba 18 of Bill Fritzmaurice design and I am extremely pleased at the quality of the sound and the ease with which it gets loud. If you have a table saw/dado blade and a jigsaw you can do the project for under $75. Bill recommends a corner placement for it but I dont have a corner for it so it is along a wall and it still kicks my Klipsch sub way around the block. Check out his website and see if it appeals to you. It's a tricky build but well worth it.

With all these recommendations for the Rythmik Audio I think I made a good choice. I ordered a pair of the active sealed systems wit the 24db option on the amps.
My choice was between a pair of these and a pair of the "Critical Q" subs.

Actually it was because of the responses to my question regarding these two choices a few days ago that lead to my decision. Brian at Rythmik is a nice guy to deal with.

Andrew

Rafal said:
Thanks for your replies. I will look into Rithmik very closely. in the mean time, what do you think of:

"Solen Sub XLS 12
A active subwoofer design using the Peerless 12"XLS (308SWR51XLS) with a slave unit (passive radiator of 425Gr or 2 of 290gr) and the KG-5230 amplifier. "

on http://www.solen.ca/
?

thanks,
Rafal

I'm wondering about this one as well. I e-mailed them the other day asking if they had a kit based on the XXLS.
This is the response I got:

Dear Sir,

You can substitute the XLS for the XXLS in the same design.

Regards,
Chris

Solen Inc.

Doesn't make much sense to me seeing's how the specs are different. Is this correct?

I can also vouch for the Parts Express 10" Dayton. If I had a bigger room I would go for the 12" or 15".

I did the mod as described in the site's PDF file to max the low end. This did a little but not much. Then I added a Behringer UltraCurve EQ unit. This made a big improvement. Actually I think this is generic to subs in general not just the Dayton - namely that some kind of EQ is nearly always helpful. The only connection withthe Dayton kit is that the low price left money available for the EQ.

If mpney is an issue, it is my belief that spending a little less on the sub but adding some EQ will usually sound better than spending it all on the sub and going without EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.