building a subwoofer with what i have

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I'm a mobile Dj,

first of all i know jack about all this.

I use a behringer europower ep1500 amp with two behringer 200watt b1520 loud speakers.... but.. i want more bass... i'm 40% deaf (natural Causes).... i like to feel the music

i have 6 cw2136 speaker drivers lying around the house.....
i bought them 8 years ago... they are 8 inch 120rms woofers response cat:CW2136 and i want to make a subwoofer..
with still 8 ohms impedence.. 4 of these drivers are still in boxes.

I made subwoofers with two of them, eight years ago from a guide in the elctronics australia magzine. And i bought another four drivers the same... but i never got around to using any of them them.... i only started to use the two subs i made a year ago in my lounge for my cinema... shakes the room.. great bass..

so... what is the best set up? i want bass, bass and more bass.
I have subwoofer crossovers..... i have tweeters and i have mid range drivers. i can buy a pezzo horn driver if need be... but i just want to use these damn drivers for something..

I don't totally understand all this stuff but the amp is 2x700 watts.
I don't even understand the make up of a sub.. the ones i made the driver faced the floor....

is adding 6 120 wrms 8ohm woofers in a parallel or circuit ever going to work?

i did a search on this sight and didn't find much. please help.

something like the behringer bb410 except with 8" woofers

regards

Dale

Attachments

• behringer stuff.jpg
    behringer stuff.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 453
maybe a huge vented box for the couch to sit on? That would give you tons of volume, and the couch could provide mass and damping, and the vibrations would travel to your rump quite well. I would download and mess around with winisd, and try to tune the monster for a peak around 28-30hz. if i recall correctly your chest cavity resonates somewhere in there, that could make for some fun!

T/S parameters

from the Jaycar website:

200mm driver

.Specifications-
Nom impedance: 8ohms-
Power handling: 120watts RMS-
Frequency range: 39Hz - 3500Hz-
Sensitivity: 90dB 1watt 1metre-
Voice Coil Resistance (Re): 6.9ohms-
Resonant frequency: (fs)39.9Hz-
Mechanical Q factor (Qms): 6.623 –
Electrical Q factor (Qes): 0.506-
Total Q factor (Qts): 0.470 –
Equivalent Volume (Vas): 32.8Lt-
Cone Area (square metres): 0.0214

Typical Applications
Vented Box- Box volume (litres): 33Lt- Tuning Freq (Hz): 39Hz- - 3db Frequency (Hz): 38.3Hz-
Two Vent Options:Vent dia: 66mm Length: 160mm
Vent dia : 50mm Length: 80mm-
Inside Cabinet DimensionsW 257mm; D 323mm; H 407mm

Sealed Box- Box Volume (litres): 26.9Lt- Tuning Freq (Hz): 58.1- - 3db Freq (Hz): 58.7- Qtc: 0.707- Inside Cabinet Dimensions W 237mm; D297mm; H 337mm.-

Speaker dimensions: OD(A) 210- Mounting holesB 198mm , Cutout C 184mm

For max bass, go with a vented box,
but for high power use a larger speaker would survive longer...

A set of two speakers in parallel gives 4 ohms impedance.
Then put wo sets in series to give the eight ohms you specified.

Total of 4 speakers gives 120 x 4 watts = 480 watts.

Note the post above gives box size for one speaker. Muliply by four gives an indication of what you would need for four speakers.

You could use isobarik mounting to reduce size of box. Refer Win ISD-pro

But why the requirement for eight ohms?

not really subs

Above cab volumes are for 1 speaker, multiply by the number of drivers you're going to use per cabinet

of course these aren't really subs, going down to 39Hz, but should be adequate for most music;

and you can't wire up 6 to get 8 ohms,

3 in series per side will give you 12 ohms, which will cut down available power (but probably save the speakers)

Thanks guys i'll get onto it

Thanks guys i'll get onto it... I might just use four and make a box to suit... it needs to be portable to do giggs..

My wife won't let me convert the couch..... But when i build my next house (i'm an architect) i'll build my cinema with earth shake'n subs... fixed to a rised floating concrete slab floor..... forget the couch.... howz that.. can't touch the couch but can do the house.

might be an idea to use 6 in 12ohm.... like you said it saves the drivers..

looks like i've got work to do..

What about horn tweeters.. subs of this size always seam to have them.. is this for sub releif from sound spikes etc?

Dale

will it worK

Rademakers: Mobile DJ

100 - 150 people tops... eventually i'll get another berhringer amp and two more b1520 and two berhringer x1800 subs i'll need to trade the station wagon with the mini van..

I find these speaker B1520 don't have enough thump.

but right now i just want a little more 'DOOOOFF!!'

do you think it'll work or be a waste of time?

Dale

The drivers that you're going to use are far less efficient than a typical PA-woofer.

To get an idea: 4 to 6 drivers in one bassreflex cabinet combined would add about the same oompff as only 1 B1800X would (with active crossover). Depends on Xmax as well, which I don't know exactly for your speakers but 5 mm as I used should be a close enough guess.
Closed boxes are seldomly used in PA and for good reason.

Since you already have the woofers lying around you could give it a try but I wander if these woofers would really handle the 120 Wrms long term.

A 1520 with a B1800 per side would be a good setup for 150 people indoors (with 2 amps and active crossover).

Remember: By placing a sub against the wall or in a corner you will gét louder bass for the same input/power, compared to a sub standing away from the wall/corner.

Wkr Johan

not too sure about the driver parameter for this config
but a nice simple layout, wich would be quite portable
and could give good bass with good quality

could be 3 seperate bi-polar config sealed or ported boxes

i'd use sealed if you want to feel it..

you can have the boxes pretty small ( maybe 1.5 times recommende sealed size for 1 driver )
you get benefits of bi-polar config
and some of the radiation pattern for room use

( bi polar means that u use 2 drivers on each box, on facing sides, and both are wired normally so that they fire each on their side)

Or i'd maybe try and make 6 small boxes that could be wired 3 -3
for stereo operation ( u use 3 boxes one on each other + some good weight..marble or metal on top .. )

if you can find already built sealed boxes in a store, with acceptable quality, that could be seriosuly fast to build up
only by 6 of em and put the subs in!!

enjoy :)

djbdjs,

Are these subwoofers going to be used for gigs in large auditoriums or clubs or dancehalls. Or are they for your home. IF they are meant for a gig they will not move enough air for a large venue. You will need a bunch of large 18 inch drivers in very large boxes. Or horn loaded enclosures.

I once went to a dance were a guy made a couple of six foot tall by 24 inches wide by 36 inches deep bass reflex speakers using large drivers. In a 5000 sqare foot auditorium the bass was good and enough to feel.

Hezz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.