Need help designing a sub for 50/50 use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Great site you all have here.

I am in need of some help to build a subwoofer for 50/50 HT music use that is not too complicated to build.

This will be my second try at DIY subwoofer building but i am not confindent in making filters and EQ's so if i can get away without all that stuff i would be happy.

Ok so i have an AV reciver with a cross over at 100Hz which is as low as it go's.

My main speakers dont go very low so i want sub bass up to 100Hz

Sub box no bigger than 50L. Have a small room..

50/50 HT, music.

I would like usable bass down to 20Hz or 25Hz but have a good kick or punch to it for music.

It dosent need to play earth shattering loud eather. Sound quality is more important to me than max SPL.

I have been looking at the Shiva 12" and the Peerless XLS 12" as possible drivers to use.

Am willing to spend AU$1000 to $1200 for wood, driver/s, passive radiator/s ( if needed) and amp.

Ok, so i think i have everything coverd.

What can be done with this in mind?

Thanks for any help guys.
Tim.

You may want to look for the XXLS rather than the XLS. The XXLS does not have the error/fault of the XLS, that it can physically hit bottom with the voice coil on the magnet.

Anothert thing to consider, is that the punck/kick is not in the deep 20-25 Hz tones (more like a rumble that you feel rather than hear).

Jennice

what brands do you have acess too? also, how much American are we talking about, oh screw it, ill go look it up.
ok 1200AUD=923.60USD for future reference

setting aside 300 for an amp, 150 for a really good sealed enclsoure, that leavesaround 450 for a driver.
Assumeing you have acess to Adire Audio products, i would reccomend a Brahma 15D4 wired in parallel to 2ohm in a low Qts enclosre with a 500w plate amp. Or if you want to guarontee low end go ahead and port it and tune it to 20Hz or so.
should pound pretty hard and have pretty good SQ.

CBFryman said:
...Or if you want to guarontee low end go ahead and port it and tune it to 20Hz or so.
should pound pretty hard and have pretty good SQ.

With the original requirement of max 50 liter enclosure, I guess it may be hard to make an enclosure with a 20 Hz port, if it has to be gig enough to keep air velocity reasonable. :cannotbe:

Full power bandwidth, actually playing fairly loud at 20 Hz without sub will demand a lot of cone movement, won't it!?

Jennice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.