Corner Dipole Woofer (CDW): info? anyone tried one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think there's more to it than that. The mono sub tends to be omnidirectional. Case in point, the dipole wouldn't be doing its thing if the bass wasn't wrapping around the baffle.

Which then creates significant velocity at the sides. This causes a lot of confusion I believe. Linkwitz has explained this and I think it has been misinterpreted a little.

The parts express corner dipole design is my adaption of George's for 15s. It sounds great with music to me but is spl limited below 30hz. I've found that it performs the best with one of the woofers in reverse polarity. So you get + output from the left and - output from the right and the back (in the corner) is a cancellation.

I've found this design to sound great with bass guitar especially a song that has quick note changes. The slam of a kick drum is better handled by my 7foot 40hz folded horn towers.

I'd like to do some experiments with acoustic elegance drivers in sealed enclosures because I'm not sure how much of the magic is the dipole or the high quality drivers.

The picture earlier in this forum is with it upside down. The common opening fires into the corner.

Last edited:
Just asking cause I have a rectangular piece of mdf with two 15" cut outs in it already that I could slice in half

That was also my idea, and I built two sealed cabinets located in different corners .....

This article finally convinced me

corner loaded louspeakers

Only I didn't go for dipoles, I preferred to use two cabinets for each speaker, it helps eliminate room modes, and you have more total SPL

Has anyone any more comments on the Parts Express corner dipole sub?
I wish there was a better vertical look at how it sits in the corner,,, and a description. I am excited because of the frequency graph they have posted with it.

I see the possibilities with your OB corner horn placement. The rear wave firing upward with gusto would cause its wave to take extra time to come around and cancel. Almost like cardeoide. Can't spell it.
But I've also given firing a sealed box into a corner like you've stated. The sealed box (faced into the corner) could fire into a pair of half-round pipes to direct the sound waves smoothly to the walls. Could even place a large half pipe the size of the cabinet on the backside of the cabinet that faces the listener for an even larger horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.