Some Design Help Please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, a non ideal IB would be better than a "regular" sub, unless your severely limited on mouth area. The competition would be dipoles, large horns, and TLs.:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

245watt @8ohms would be ok for 2 15s in IB config. That said, if going straight for IB the 4 AE IB15s for $400 is kinda hard to pass up. But those drivers only really work in IBs, dipoles, or open baffles.

how does a dipole work?

I took some more measurements, I think I can actually install two 15" drivers above my center channel in a line array configuration. I am going to dig into the wall from the back (that's where the mudroom is, and I just gutted it this past weekend) I think it's high enough (76" from the floor) to avoid any romex that's behind there. It'll also let me get a good look at the studs and what not. I still have to keep my options open though, in case it doesn't work out. I'm really not sure if I'm up for it, but what the hell, I can sell my Earthquake and probably make up enough to almost pay for the drivers anyway.

I definitely can't do more than two drivers in a line array, but I could put all four of the AE's in a transition box. Which would be better?

sorry, i made a typo, the AE's Should NOT be mounted upside down.

I suppose I could put one on the back, one on the bottom and one left and right, but I didn't see any that way in the Cult Pics

Anyway, I don't think it will be too much of an issue as I am pretty confident that I can get a horizontal through the wall array anyway. Nothing says that they have to be grouped in a nice set, If I can place two sets of two next to one another and a couple of feet apart, that should work also if I'm not mistaken. Plus, I think it looks pretty damn sweet haveing four 15" drivers sticking out of the wall into the listening area.

Tweeker, do you think I can power four drivers with a plate amp if they are wired Serial/Paralell which should keep the ohm rating consistent, especially if I buy the 8ohm versions of the AE's? I really hate the idea of a BFD. Also noticed that Rythmik is working on a servo driven 15" for IB, that would be nice...

To drive 4 with a plate amp wired series/parallel youd want to use the 4 ohm drivers. 1000 watt plate amp would work fine. Youd need a pro amp to drive the 8 ohm ones, even adding the BFD it wouldnt cost any more, though possibly noisier.

BFD tuning guide, rather involved, but much finer granularity.

It might be better to mount the drivers 2*2 like so:
OO
OO

Makes them closer together so that you dont have sound from one speaker ariving at the listener a different time from another.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.