Hats make better bass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is true, I am currently wearing a large cat in the hat style furry cloth hat.

It actually opens up my system for music, it delocalises my sub(behind me), and prevents sound reflections of high frequencies. I think its the felt rim that hangs behind my ears. All i know is that it makes my music sond better.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Maybe we should be wearing ridiculous hats instead of upgrading our systems.

Yes, this is expected. Hearing is very dependant on the filtering provided by the shape of the outer ear. Any extra obstructions alter this filtering and thus alter your perception of the sound. Typically it will alter stereo effects, perhaps making sounds seem to come from behind, or as in your case making them harder to locate.

I experience this a lot with my hair: If it's hanging over my ears things sound very different than if it's tied back, plus a whole range between.

After changing some settings on my EQ, to take away some higher frequencies, Ive got the highs sounding like when my hat is on, but i just cant get the same impossable to localise bass.

I also noticed due to the way that the hat cups around my ears, it makes sounds coming from in front EASIER to localise, the 2 stereo chanels become more distinct.

Every reflection of the sound causes it to change.

If you would like to hear how much the shape of your ear and reflected sound affects your hearing, cup your hands behind your ears and slowly bend your ear flaps toward the speaker. It acts somewhat like a parabolic microphone.

This might be the biggest reason there is no "best" speaker.

Cal

bwbass said:
If this is with regards to car audio, I'm sure the big fuzzy hat is acting as a bass trap over your head, damping standing waves in the cabin.
For a lot of the riceboys and doofdoofs, it's probably damping the standing waves in their heads.
BTW, bwbass, when are those 30 and 32" bass parts you mentioned coming?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.