Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass impact with driver position
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
drfrink24 is offline drfrink24
diyAudio Member

Default Bass impact with driver position

Will a down-firing subwoofer reduce that great low "punch" you get in movies/music, due to the fact that its not actually facing you anymore?

I know low freq. sounds aren't directional, but, I still would think that air movement is (to an extent).

I don't want to lose that "punch" or "impact" bass.
Old 25th January 2005, 06:35 PM   #2
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
I reckon you do lose some impact, but I think because it's so tightly 'coupled' with the floor you also get more output, maybe.

My sub is downward firing and you only get direct impact through the air when cranking it to insane levels. At low levels it still pulsates my sofa though, and my floor is concrete. Those low frequencies will always reach you
Old 25th January 2005, 08:52 PM   #3
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't think you lose any "punch" or "impact", unless you cross it too high.
Old 25th January 2005, 09:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

So, a mental experiment here then:

Place your subwoofer 5 feet from you, with the driver facing you, play a high volume "impact", kick bass, whatever.

Now, place a 5x5x2 foot thick concrete wall 5 inches in front of the subwoofer, repeat.

You're saying the "impact" will remain exactly the same? No physical differences?
Old 25th January 2005, 09:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You can't do that, it's like standing behind the front firing subwoofer. Put the subwoofer down on 4" legs and repeat. Especially if you corner load it...
Old 25th January 2005, 10:14 PM   #6
xstephanx is offline xstephanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Theres still pressure fluctuations in the room, and corner loading will prevent any loss in punch, and a gain in output.

Simon, you would lose punch by crossing to LOW no? the chest cavity resonates at 70hz, and alot of the punchy bass is higher up in the spectrum.
Old 25th January 2005, 10:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I know but like if you cross it skyhigh at like 200 Hz, I'm not sure the 100-200 Hz octave would sound good in a downfiring design. Not omnidirectional anymore...

But under 80 Hz, I seriously doubt you would lose any punch, you will probably gain some punch especially corner loaded, you'll have so much headroom.
Old 25th January 2005, 11:31 PM   #8
Rademakers is offline Rademakers  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the chest cavity resonates at 70hz
You're sure about that? I thoughed it was more up like 100-120 Hz.

@Drfrink: What do you mean with low punch? Punch isn't low, more like 70 Hz and up

My 18" sub (with bigger Xmax) crossed @ 80 Hz doesn't gives as much punch at the chest as my 15" from 65 to 120 Hz anyways. The 18" is more into totall body movement except the chest.

Mvg Johan
Old 25th January 2005, 11:42 PM   #9
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

If you get more punch with a driver crossed over below 100Hz facing you, it is most likely you are hearing higher frequencies that are not suitably attenuated by the crossover, or IM distortion in your driver.
“One of the poets, whose name I cannot recall, has a passage, which I am unable at the moment to remember, in one of his works, which for the time being has slipped my mind, which hits off admirably this age-old situation.”
― PG Wodehouse
Old 26th January 2005, 02:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bear with me here... I know this is quite unrealistic...

Just to establish what some people are saying, you don't lose anything by going with a downfiring design, when it comes to felt bass impact.

So, right now, in a blind test, people wouldn't notice the difference between a subwoofer placed 12 inches away, pointed directly at their chest and the same subwoofer, with the driver pointed in the opposite direction, with the back of the cabinet 12 inches from their chest.

A few more assumptions:

1. You are deaf (I know, poor guy, blind AND deaf)
2. A repeating 50hz "blast" at 125 spl is being generated.
3. You are sitting directly in the center of a room with optimal acoustic characteristics.

You're telling me, the average person will have no idea when its pointed at them or away from them?

Bass impact with driver positionHide this!Advertise here!