car sub for in house

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking at this sub to use at home. I plan to use a pair of these in a low Q sealed box. It models very closely to a Tempest. The sub is an Elemental Designs 16kv.2. I am thinking of chosing this over the Tempest for 2 reasons... 1 - its a little cheaper (plus an extra 10% off when you buy 2) and 2 - I can get away with a smaller box (without needing an Linkwitz Transform).

Is there any reason why you think this would be a bad choice?

SPECS:
Qts .32
Qms 3.60
Qes .35
Re 3.7
Vas (Liter) 329.00
Sd (cm^2) 840
Fs (Hz) 19.9
Bl 16.00
MMd 179.00
MMs 193.00
Xmax 16.1mm

The following graph represents the SPL I can achieve with 250W in their respective enclosures. Both subs get very close to Xmax at about 18hz or so (with the 12hz HPF included on the amp I plan to use). Will 250W really get these subs to Xmax in these relatively large enclosures?

Attachments

• frgraph.jpg
    frgraph.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 361
actually, that looks like it models very well. This interests me if its cheaper than a tempest. Could be another new steal of a bargain for DIY HT drivers.

Id say go for it, it doesnt mdel to much different from a tempest, ahs a bit more sd a bit less xmax, and should sounds pretty similar and hit similar SPL levels.

I did end up buying 2 of these and I'd have to say I'm very pleased. I really think these should be considered more often for budget subs.

I am sure they are in the same league as Tempest and they are cheaper... USA or Canada for $243/pair $135/each shipping incl.

I am running them in 4 cu. Ft sealed each (with EQ). I currently have them on 350W each and for this enclosure they could maybe take a little more. They come in 2 or 4 ohm DVC. I have dual 4 ohms and a PA amp that's 2 ohm stable in stereo mode but am running in series right now. I could get more if I thought I needed it.

If I only had a Tempest to compare...

16kv.2 its a 15"

linky

All Elemental Designs' subs feature what they call Co-Linear technology... Increased drive unit efficiency and reliability through exacting motor design harnessing the centrifugal magnetic field longer without power degredation. Superior electro-magnet power distrobution and application of applied energy resulting in superior sound quality and output.

I wonder if it's comparable to Adire's XBL^2. They don't offer graphs of BL vs. excursion like Adire does to back up their claims though. Even still, they are cheaper than Adire's non-XBL drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.