Surround sound amp, Sub woofer and television

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need help!! I am lost when it comes to setting up this system with a TV/DVD, amp, front and rear speakers and a sub woofer. I recently came into a six peice speaker set including a sub woofer and an older television as well as a pioneer professional surround sound amp (a neighbor moved and did not have the room to keep these items) I have a newer DVD player. The television has a left and right audio output (rca jacks) as well as the typical left, right and video inputs. The amp has front rear and center speakers and the ususal inputs for phono, cd, tuner, tape (play & rec) eq, vcr2 and vcr1, but no sub jack. The sub woofer has a line level input (single rca) and high level inputs L+ L- R+R- these are the type of terminals that take stripped wire thats stuck in. The DVD has all the latest technology, coaxial digital out, audio out L&R rca, s video, component video out Y Pb and Pr. I have the speakers all hooked up as far as front rear and center, the cd player and the tuner thats the easy part. How do I incorporate the sub and the dvd into this?

1. If you have a DVD and video both going into the TV you can either insert a switch box that will switch sources so only one signal goes to the TV, or you can do what I do: hook up both to the TV and only have one on at a time - that way you don't have to get up to change a switch. You need to get some RCA adaptors that allow piggyback connections (a bit like a mains plug that accepts another mains plug at the same time).

2. DVD player goes into the input on the back of the amp. If you can't switch sources with your remote you might try what I did once - both video and DVD into the same connection with piggy back connectors. Just have only one on at a time.

3. subwoofer. you have a few options:

a) use a dedicated line level input if you have this with your amp. If your amp doesn't have this, then look for preout - you can use them
b) speaker level - runs from the speaker cables

Parts Express have some info on this

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.