Extreme extention??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am building a pair of superspeakers and instead of trying to build a 4 way design to pick up the absolute botom end, i am going to build a matched subwoofer. It will be digitally crossed over to match the speakers and I think I am going to use a crown or crest Pro Audio amp. I don't so much need bass as I really need extention. The main speakers will have dual 8" Eton 8/800 so I just need something for the rock bottom. I am in debate on which sub to use. The options I am looking at are the peerless xls 12" with a passive radiator, the Dayton 12" in a roughly 2.5 cu. ft. box or maybe some type of car audio driver. I have looked at the Diamond TDX but they dont' really extend that well. If I'm going to be using an active crossover here does the f3 of the system really matter anymore?????? any other drivers I may have overlooked are also welcome.... Thanks!!

Cross over to the big sub at about 50 Hz, or below. Your mains should have plenty of output to there. Or, if you don't want to high-pass the mains, then you'll need to make sure that where you cross over is sufficiently below the cutoff of the main speakers that between the slope of the mains' rolloff and the slope of the low pass on the subwoofer, you get a flat response.

crossover

I am thinking either an xls or an xxls with the passive rasiator, and a digital crossover that has a 24 db/octave low pass and another high pass at 17hz Since the crossover is digital I can manipulate it to be a custom fit to the natural bottom end of my mains. I don't want to contaminate the signal path with an additional crossover for the main speakers. The sub, I don't mind a little creative manipulation to get things to fall into place.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.