Different kind of sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to the DIY world. I've been doing a lot of research and have experence with decent audio systems, as well as a very good backing in math, science, and woodworking. I live in a dorm room at the moment, and I'm looking for a good subwoofer. I'm not looking for huge volumes, or a flat response to 20 hz, but in the mid 30's is where I'm aiming.

But even more than that, I'm looking for something small and responsive. I live in a very compact room, and don't have the space or money to do anything huge.

I got the t/s data on a supposed subwoofer which caught my interest. It's a 5" driver with a $25 price tag, which in simulations seems to fit my needs almost perfectly.

Net volume = 0.45 ft^3, f3l around 34 hz, output up to around 100 dbs in simulations when mated to a 70 watt amp (I'm familiar with baffle step, so wall placement would be a given in the setup, most likely corner loaded).

Any thoughts? I'm using a default ported design. The sub is intented for 99% music. Model number/specs included below. Anyone have any experience with drivers like these?

Comments/suggestions more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

Reece

Tang Band W5-1138SA

4 ohm

sensitivity: 82 db
resonance: 45 hz
max power: 110 w
xmax: 9.25 mm
vas: 6.71 L
qts: .49
qms: 2.68
qes: .61

rjon17469 said:
So I shouldn't rely on the output predictions, because on paper is seems like it could go more than loud enough for what I need...

It depends on what generated the output prediction. Be aware that output predictions from all but thw most expensive software assume linear behavior. Loudspeakers are not linear. This means that compression sets in, and it is often ~6dB anywhere near rated power due to VC heating alone. Add to that suspension nonlinearities and things can be much different than a simple simulation.

That said, try it, it would make a nice experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.