Output from Shiva with 120w?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While browsing Adire's website, I read that at 600w, the Shiva could yield output in the 120db SPL range. With just 56w, one could achieve peaks up to 95db.

My first question is, what kind of SPL peaks could I expect with 120w? Secondly, being very new to this, it is hard for me to comprehend what 95db SPL is compared to 120db. Obviously it is louder, however, for movies, what kind of SPL output do you need to feel explosions/thunderous bass? And could 120w to a ported Shiva achieve this?

Thanks.

nrgy said:
....what kind of SPL output do you need to feel explosions/thunderous bass? And could 120w to a ported Shiva achieve this?

The formula to calculate approximate maxSPL is:
MaxSPL = dB + 10 * log10(power)

Where dB is the sensitivity in dB/1W/1m
and Power is the power the amp can deliver into the "nominal impedance" of the load. (~2.7 ohms for a shiva with parallel connected coils.

Since the Shiva is a DVC driver, there are several possible answers, one with coils parallel, one with series, one with only a single coil connected.... It also depends on the size box and tuning you plan to use.

My gut reaction is that 120W is enough for most people.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.