Go Back   Home > Forums > >

8 or 10" subs for sealed venture?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2021, 03:44 PM   #11
shrubs is offline shrubs
diyAudio Member

I concur (re small diameter subs). Small drivers are capable of reproducing the low tones very well. As I was saying nearer the top my Dynaudios go low enough, they house 6 1/2" drivers in stand mounts. They perform great but of course they can not offer the slam that subwoofers can. If I'n not happy with 8"s I can easily bump up to 10s.

The Dynaudios seem to be in a class of there own. Of course not all stand mounts are created equal. In fact I have not owned or heard small monitors that reproduce bass as well as these do. PMC comes to mind, they do pretty well with some of they're mini transmission line stand mounts. The previous checked off more boxes, bass mids and highs. I'm glad I went with them instead.

Thanks for pitching in.

Last edited by shrubs; 24th November 2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:10 AM   #12
MrKlinky is offline MrKlinky  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Except that using pairs of drivers push-push brings significant advanrages over a single driver a size larger. It all comes down tot he physics. Active reaction cancelation is a significant gain in a woofer.

dave
I cannot argue with the physics, but what effect will this have on the sound in reality?
Old 25th November 2021, 08:34 AM   #13
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You will get more uniform omnidirectional pattern, but mostly it does a really good job of taking energy out of the cabinet. The Twin SDX10 woofers we did were 15mm BB. It was sufficient.

dave
Old 25th November 2021, 09:13 AM   #14
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'd use the SB23MFCL45-8 in this application. They will be loafing while the Dynaudios are struggling to keep up.
Old 25th November 2021, 10:31 PM   #15
shrubs is offline shrubs
diyAudio Member

Not surprising cowanaudio since the Dynaudios are not subwoofers.
Old 25th November 2021, 10:40 PM   #16
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hopefully you'd relieve the Dynaudios of bass duties, and leave that to the twin 8s per side.
Old 26th November 2021, 04:02 PM   #17
shrubs is offline shrubs
diyAudio Member

They take a lot of clean power. I have more power on tap then what would be wise to use. I make it to 9 oclock 10 at the most. With loud clean recordings. Amp is Mark Levinson putting 250 wattsx2 @4 ohms. There capable of playing very cleanly and much louder than what's comfortable (or safe) for human hearing. I leave tones @ flat on my preamp when I do lean on them. Its plenty enough to feel intense sonic waves physically but enough never seems to be enough after I became used to them. The increases of bass isn't needed per say as I was saying. Its more of a want urge thats pushing me towards subs.

This page touches on why they do bass tones so well. Although mine are the larger 20s. I also have a pair of the largest bookshelf's from the Audience line. Both of them reproduce bass extremely well. Dynaudio Emit M10 review | What Hi-Fi?

I'll find the article I was after given more time. It goes into more detail as to why small Dynaudios are so good at bass.

Last edited by shrubs; 26th November 2021 at 04:14 PM.
  Reply to this post

8 or 10" subs for sealed venture?Hide this!Advertise here!