How good is Hornresp?

But to be specific- regardless of the area of the cut out in front of the driver, where does horn resp assume the centre of the driver is? Does it ‘know’ that the centre of the cone is not in the centre of the pathway? And that the pressure gradients make an immediate 90 degree turn?

Lastly- different question- would you recommend rounding any of the corners of the pathway with bits of ply angled at 45 degrees..
Hornresp assumes the driver center is the center of it's Sd, which may be placed at different locations relative to the horn path.

Bits of ply in the corners generally reduce horn volume, which also slightly reduces output. "Rounding" corners for folded horns used above what is considered "sub" range, say above 200 Hz, will help smooth response.

Art

Good news! The answer to this thread, at least in my experience, is a firm yes!

In a kind of ‘happy accident’, I now have two similar, but slightly different built tapped horns. (Both using the same driver).

The first one was made based on an error, where I accidentally designed a horn around the Hornresp default driver. Not sure how that happened, but, having built the horn in error I then switched the horn resp parameters for the driver I wanted (no change to the size and shape of the horn). Naturally, I got an uneven response

I then made a new horn, this time based on the driver I was using, and built that.

Having two designs of very similar, but critically different proportions, I can compare the models and the reality in detail.

Hornresp was accurate, particularly in the low end of the response. The high end of the response in each case was somewhat different in reality, but I think this is probably because I didn’t ‘round’ the corners of the horns. The volume was therefore higher than the model, but also I hear the square corners of the pathway can cause issues at the high end of the response.

At the moment, I have no means of recording the exact SPL/Frequency, but I have spent time carefully listening at various distances from the box.

Thanks to all who have replied.