Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Compact sub for mobile dj
Compact sub for mobile dj
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2021, 02:02 AM   #1
tizlaney is offline tizlaney  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Compact sub for mobile dj

I just built two of Jbells SS15 using 3015LFs and am blown away. I first powered them with a Yamaha PX3 bridged at 4ohm mono and now a Behringer NX3000D limited. These are a little large (physical size, mostly height) for some of my small gigs

I now want to build a small compact single sub to supplement my smaller systems.

I am considering the Cubo 12 because I like the size of it. I could go for a premium woofer (Amp options above) to maximize the power I already have. Ideally 4 ohm.

Thoughts?
Old 27th October 2021, 10:34 AM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

IMO, for DJ use, solid output at 40Hz is high up on the list of priorities, and a Cubo 12 won't manage that.

Recently, I've done a few smaller gigs* with a single ported 12". It's an OEM driver that I got cheap, with 600w continuous power handling, and around 10mm Xmax.

* Providing for a wedding DJ with 30-50 people on the dancefloor, and an 80-seat theatre with some hip-hop dance stuff thrown in.

It needs a good amount of voltage swing (it's 8ohm) to really do the job, but something like a Faital 12HP1060 in the 4ohm variant would also do well.

Chris
Old 27th October 2021, 01:19 PM   #3
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
Overly Enthusiastic
diyAudio Member

Compact sub for mobile dj Send a message via MSN to kipman725
I prefer to not have the driver exposed and dislike grills so I would go with a bandpass design like this 18sound suggested 12" bandpass:
https://www.eighteensound.it/media/W...0tJVC5wZGYiXV0
Old 27th October 2021, 02:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The look of the enclosure is not important in this application but I do like the 18sound, design, but they dont have that woofer in 4ohm.

I just want max output from a single 12 using amplifiers I already have. Which means I need a 4 ohm woofer. Weight is not an issue either so Ferrite is fine. The Fatial 12HP1030 is available in 4ohm but as with many woofers right now availability in the US is hit and miss.

Previously I used EV ZXA-1Sub (1 or 2) for these small gigs but I sold them in a bundle about 2 years ago. I would like to achieve the same output as 2 of these ZXAs (coupled) in 1 cabinet with 1 12" of similar dimensions 20"x20"x20" max.

Here are the simple specs for the EV ZXA-1S
Freq range (-3) 53-93
Freq Resp (-10) 44-118
Max SPL 128
Crossed 100hz
Watts advertised 700w
Old 27th October 2021, 03:11 PM   #5
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
Overly Enthusiastic
diyAudio Member

Compact sub for mobile dj Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Probably just bass reflex with a carefully optimized port then. This driver would do well:
12BG100 LF Drivers - B&C Speakers
Old 27th October 2021, 04:57 PM   #6
noggers is offline noggers  United States
diyAudio Member

If 20x20x20" are your rough dims you could go w/ a 15" & build something like Chris's Teeny Tiny PA 15: Teeny tiny PA 15" subwoofer

Besides more Vd than a 12", the other positive is there are are more 4-Ohm 15" options than 12"
Old 27th October 2021, 05:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

@noggers - that is funny I am literally reading that thread now and have considered going to 15" due to exactly what you are saying...more 4 ohm options
Old 27th October 2021, 06:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

chris661 I am looking at this Teeny tiny PA 15" thread and am wondering 3 things:

1. Could this design be modified for the 12" Fatial 12HP1030 4ohm (I found one in stock in the US) - I am not that great at figuring out these dimensions, box designs, or any simulation stuff. Actually building them - i am good at.

2. If it cant easily be modified what would be a good design to use for the 12HP1030 mentioned in 1.

3. If 12" is still not a viable option what would be the ideal woofer for the "Teeny Tiny PA 15" in its current form the Beyma or Fatial?
Old 27th October 2021, 06:25 PM   #9
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey Tiz,

To answer your questions:

1 - You could try just reducing the width and driver cutout diameter, but I'd run it through Hornresp before putting saw to wood.

2 - A sensibly-designed reflex would be fine. Make sure there's plenty of port area to avoid compression, and you'll be good to go.

3 - Both drivers work well. A high-end 15" sub driver from any reputable manufacturer will work fine - they all converge on a set of T/S parameters which happen to fit this design quite well. In my experience, the Beyma 15P1200Nd overloads (goes past Xmax) a little more gracefully than the Faital 15HP1060, plus the extra 20% thermal power handling doesn't hurt. The Faitals are no slouch, though.

Some other notes to consider:
- For smaller venues, I do think a single 12" will do what you're looking for just fine.

- Either way, make sure you leave plenty of space between the front of the cone and the grille. Go for Xmech +20%, measuring from the front surface of the driver. The cones on the Beyma (which have a thicker mounting flange than the Faitals) can easily hit the grilles on mine, so I might rebuild them in the future. For now, I've added some spacers, but it doesn't look great.

- I really do think neodymium is worth the added cost. When it's a 3am load-out, you'll want everything as light as possible.

Chris

PS - That EV "sub" doesn't seem great. -3dB @53Hz doesn't count as a subwoofer in my opinion. Something reasonably meaty that's solid at 40Hz will be a serious upgrade.
Old 27th October 2021, 07:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all of you for your input.
I feel like I have some direction now. I guess its time to dig in and figure this out.

Two thumbs up on the NEO comment - I have NEOs in my SS15s and it is a little relief to pick up those cabs

Compact sub for mobile djHide this!Advertise here!