W - 10 to 11" (25-28 cm)
H - 20 to 28" (50-70 cm)
L - 17 - 22" (45-52 cm)

So it can get ~90 liters

Front speakers Jbl control 29:
Jbl Pro Control 29AV-1 | JBL Professional Loudspeakers

Amplifier:
Yamaha receiver with sub-out ,
Subwoofer amplifier - probably would be a PA amp as Crosn xli/xls 1000.

Don't need crazy spl but prefer sonically improvement .

Budget :
For the woofer/s ~ 200-220$
Box - cost no issue as i build it myself

@RobWells thanks,
I ran several search with different key words and could find anything I could start with ,actually a draw which has similar size would help ,
Second, this mcm is quite cheap one , I don't have issue with paying less but is there better alternative that some one build and willing to share drawing or explain where to start from i can draw it myself but not sure where to start from

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
A single 8" isn't going to play very loud outdoors, so did a basic ~20 Hz [~flat to ~27 Hz] dual 8" TB W8-740P in ~60 L net XO'd at 80-120 Hz in Hornresp [attached]. Sims needing 300 W/8 ohms/Xmax, so your Crown is plenty good enough.

Ran out of time to search for some suitable folding schemes. :(

Attachments

• TBW8-740PODTH.txt
    1 KB · Views: 140
The size is limited to a box with max size of:
W - 10 to 11" (25-28 cm)
H - 20 to 28" (50-70 cm)
L - 17 - 22" (45-52 cm)

So it can get ~90 liters

For the woofer/s ~ 200-220$
Avico78,

Tapped horns can leverage about 6 dB more output than a bass reflex, but assuming you want more output than the pair of JBL Control 29 (-3dB @45 Hz) down low, a single 8" TH probably won't get you there in a 90L box.

Using a larger driver allows more displacement, which can offset the TH gain.
A single high excursion slot loaded 12" will work well in a 90L box with the exit on the 11" side.

The example below using one Eminence LAB12" (around $230) can produce around 120dB at 40Hz. There are cheaper drivers with similar or more output available, but having used the LAB12" extensively, I know it will do what the simulation says, and sound good doing it.

Art

Attachments

• Lab 12%22.png
    Lab 12%22.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 290
  • Slot load.png
    Slot load.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
A single 8" isn't going to play very loud outdoors, so did a basic ~20 Hz [~flat to ~27 Hz] dual 8" TB W8-740P in ~60 L net XO'd at 80-120 Hz in Hornresp [attached]. Sims needing 300 W/8 ohms/Xmax, so your Crown is plenty good enough.

Ran out of time to search for some suitable folding schemes. :(

Thanks @GM ,
I import the file attached to Honnresp and tried to understand if i could get any size or something i could draw the box with but I got lost with it:)
In case u find something similar kindly share ,

As I'm planning to use the sub outdoor I have a concern for the woofer materials .
I think it would better to woofer made of something more resistant than a paper ,what do think?

Avico78,

Tapped horns can leverage about 6 dB more output than a bass reflex, but assuming you want more output than the pair of JBL Control 29 (-3dB @45 Hz) down low, a single 8" TH probably won't get you there in a 90L box.

Using a larger driver allows more displacement, which can offset the TH gain.
A single high excursion slot loaded 12" will work well in a 90L box with the exit on the 11" side.

The example below using one Eminence LAB12" (around $230) can produce around 120dB at 40Hz. There are cheaper drivers with similar or more output available, but having used the LAB12" extensively, I know it will do what the simulation says, and sound good doing it.

Art

Thanks @weltersys,
I got your point and actually I love the idea to simplify the box and get better results ,
but as mention , i have space limitation with max width 11",
see attached .
As check LAB12 depth is 6.44" mm and with the box (11") so total would 17.5" so it's too wide ,

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 205
Thanks @weltersys,
I got your point and actually I love the idea to simplify the box and get better results ,
but as mention , i have space limitation with max width 11",
see attached .
As check LAB12 depth is 6.44" ...
A "slot loaded" driver's mounting baffle is 90 degrees to the plenum (slot area) exit on the cabinet's front face. The driver's depth, rather than diameter determines what will fit on the cabinet face.
The plenum can be be made large enough to enclose the driver (6.44" deep x 12.32" diameter) or quite narrow.

11" cabinet width - 3 x 3/4" side wall and plenum baffle width (2.25")=8.75"- driver depth (6.44") =2.31" plenum width. Your picture looks like the side walls are only 1/2", which would make the plenum up to 3.06" wide.

The LAB12 driver's back vents should be allowed to "breath", the plenum width would need to be reduced by a half inch or so.

Hopefully this set of diagrams will help you understand, otherwise search for other examples of "slot loaded" woofers.

P.S.- The LAB 12's Kevlar-Reinforced Paper is pretty weather resistant, but treating outdoor paper cones with a product like "The Wet Look™", a high gloss polymer formulated to protect them is a good idea.

Applying Scotchguard to my direct radiating woofers

Attachments

• Slot Load Plenum.png
    Slot Load Plenum.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited: