Cheap box repair

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Repairing because I hate sending stuff to landfill.
Hot melt glue is not suitable for building subwoofer boxes.
The built in amplifiers had all died and considered not worth spending money to repair.
Need the get the H/T back up and running while I save for new drivers and materials.
This is the first time I've seen boxes built like this, low density fibreboard vinyl wrapped and then assembled using hot melt glue.
So for the last few days I've been cutting bits of MDF and bracing the box using a lot of yellow PVA glue. Cut panels to turn them into sealed boxes. They won't be perfect but should get us out of trouble for a few months.
Had the boxes and been using them on and off [ mainly on] for the last 20+ years so I have had my monies worth.
Substituting 10inch4R drivers with cheap Jaycar 10" woofers so that the amp sees a better 4R load in total.
Pix tomorrow.
Stereo subs, a 12" and a 10" on each side

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Ugly is as ugly does and I really hope I can build something better soon but as a short term fix I really hope this works. The vinyl wrap simply peeled of the exterior leaving the rough surface

Attachments

• IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 108
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I was thinking of doing that but I raided my stash of MDF and cut strips to do a similar job and also used some DAR hardwood to join sides together.
These will do I hope until the Comptroller of War and Finances allows the purchase of some better subwoofer drivers.
More pictures tomorrow

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Not going to bother with painting and finishing at this stage, as I hope to make better boxes with better drivers soon.
These are not going to be able to keep up with the other speakers in the H/T set-up so I'll use these with the stereo and use the Cerwin Vega with the new sub amp.
The sound OK even if the bass isn't all that deep but in a room with a little DSP they should be OK until they blow up or I manage to make something much better
Also pictured are some of my "Old" toys, which seem to be worth something these days and I may just put them up for sale. Maybe for once I've done the right thing in not throwing old gear away

Attachments

• IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 79
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I had fun rebuilding those cheap boxes, as tedious as it was I thought the end result justified the time spent.
Picture of the RHS in-situ. Almost time to start reconnecting things and learning how to use the digital XO and processing.

Attachments

• IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 39