Subwoofer through-mount enclosure?

Hi all, I have a dumb/basic question that seems to not have been asked. I'm attempting to maximize a space-constrained, hopefully-stealth build for car audio. Is it possible to mount the subwoofer magnet through/ outside the enclosure? It might save "just" 3/4", but it could be more in some cases. For example, the Tang Band W8-1363SB has an exceptionally long but thin magnet. (However, I believe this magnet has an open center which would make this stupid? confirmation appreciated). You could recover a lot more space with that, if the bump is in the right place. And it actually seems beneficial, at least structurally-speaking.

Yes, this might create more heat build-up/less cooling of the magnet. Well, you could use a tight-fitting aluminum ring with a bit of thermal glue to achieve a similar surface area for dissipation.

Anyway, I've seen very heavy magnets supported 1/3 to halfway around with ply in HT applications, to prevent destructive torsion on the face of the box. But I've never seen a magnet fully surrounded by wood or protruding from the enclosure. Any tips appreciated, thanks!

In pro audio having the magnet to the outside is more common, although it's often effectively put in a cavity for physical protection. Cooling of the magnet is (at least) secondary to cooling of the voice coil. Typically that's slightly better outside the enclosure compared to inside of the enclosure, if the pole piece is vented (see the gaps for the Tang Band W8-1363SB).

Larger drivers need to account for the volume inside the cone, that displaced/ added to the effective cabinet volume (i.e. reflex and sealed). For example an 18" outside the enclosure can add a couple of gallons to the effective cabinet volume compared to being inside the enclosure.

A good way to get a stealth build is to cut a small hole, about an inch or two, into the boot then put the sub in a very small enclosure and line the back of the enclosure with the hole so the air pressure escapes out of the car, you get big box sound from the smallest of enclosures.

often effectively put in a cavity for physical protection

Thanks Rademakers. It makes sense you can get a bit more volume out of the same box to put the sub on the outside. I've seen it in isobaric designs etc. However, in this case, I'm talking about mounting the magnet thru the bottom sheet of ply, sealed-in w glue and protruding.

However you point out the vented pole of W8-1363SB, so that idea would probably be dumb for that speaker. I'll probably instead 3D print a somewhat tight-fitting cover around the magnet and keep the rest of the box shallow. I guess people have done similar tight-fits in the past with fiberglass?