8" subwoofer recommendation please

Hi Thanks for reading. Can i please have a recommendation for a good quality 8" subwoofer.

I purchased an BK electronics bpv500 plate amp, unfortunatly it has a high current output, which is good for bass, but my cheap wharfedale driver could not handle that much current and is distorting all over the place.

So i need an 8" driver, specalised for bass only response, power handling of 200 watts, crossover frequency is 100hz, enclosure volume is 1.8 cubic feet. A driver that is rugged and can take a beating. Budget is £125. Preferably 8 ohms.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the visaton recommendation, the power handling is a little low, i have used 100 watt subwoofers before and they do struggle, need more like 200 watts.
Any more recommendations please. Are there any good suwoofers out there, good bang for your buck.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Unfortunatly i am limited to 8" drivers, these are going to fit into a polk audio enclosure which has the front baffle board already cut for two 8" drivers.

The theory is that large drivers have a large heavy cone, which because of its sheer mass moves more slowly that a smaller cone.
So small cones generally give a fast bass, and heavy cones give a lower but slower bass, that is the general idea not so sure of the actual science.
Polk audio use two 8" subs to give the speed of smaller subs, and with two drivers this gives increased cone area.
I am getting some distortion at high volumes using 4 ohm subs, maybe the amplifer panel does not like low impedance, so am going to try 8 ohms and listen if that distortion goes away.
Will report back. Can't find any information on the dayton audio sub, have you got the right model number.
The box is sealed but i do have a few bass ports in storage so should not be difficult to adjust. Just need to find an on-line calculator for the port dimensions.

Any more sub recommendations please.

Last edited:
....I purchased an BK electronics bpv500 plate amp, unfortunatly it has a high current output, which is good for bass, but my cheap wharfedale driver could not handle that much current and is distorting all over the place.
That makes no sense. Amps do not "urge" speakers. They provide whatever signal you signify according to the volume control setting.

Lots of reasons for bad sound ("distorting all over the place"???). But if the Wharfdale is otherwise in good condition, it is because it is being fed too much signal for its little self to handle. It is possible that the Wharfdale is just inadequate to the loudness you require at the low freq of interest - not that the plate amp is at fault for urging it.

That can arise from you setting the volume too high, some EQ pushing it, or if the driver is ill-matched to the crossover (if any is in place). I'd listen to what the Wharfdale is emitting with other drivers silent.

B.

Last edited:
Just one last thing, should the panel amp go into the same enclosure as the sub, or should the amp be placed into a seperate enclosure to protect it from the subs air pressure. I have two miller and kreisler subs and the amp panel is placed into the same enclosure as the sub

Benefit of placing the amp directly "in" the box is tat it saves volume. If you make a separate enclosure part this will take up volume which could otherwise have benefitted the drivers to make an overall more optimized outer size.
But ensure the plate amp is fully sealed especially if it has pot meter controls (other wise you'll get whistling)

This is essential in a closed or PR design especially for high output small size where the pressure in the box will be substantial

Hi Thanks for reading. Can i please have a recommendation for a good quality 8" subwoofer.

I purchased an BK electronics bpv500 plate amp, unfortunatly it has a high current output, which is good for bass, but my cheap wharfedale driver could not handle that much current and is distorting all over the place.

So i need an 8" driver, specalised for bass only response, power handling of 200 watts, crossover frequency is 100hz, enclosure volume is 1.8 cubic feet. A driver that is rugged and can take a beating. Budget is £125. Preferably 8 ohms.

Many thanks

If you can go up to 1.8 cubic feet of box volume, I really do not see why you would settle for an 8". 1.8 cubic feet is 50 liters ... that is quite a big box and would easily accommodate at least a 12".
But maybe I'm missing something.

Could you state the box measurements you are targeting?