Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Sonosub Driver Selection Help
Sonosub Driver Selection Help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2021, 04:24 AM   #1
AbilityBuild is offline AbilityBuild  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sonosub Driver Selection Help

I am trying to make a ported sonosub (likely with 24" diameter sonotube). I am looking for drivers that extend sub 20hz without room gain as my home audio setup is very suboptimal (split level open floorplan with >40 foot longest dimension).

I found a few promising subwoofers <$250, <400 liter box. A promising candidate is the DCS380 (in 377-liter box can get 108 dB with -3db at 17.8hz, and the MX15-22 which does more with an enclosure half the size but it is sold out. UM12-22 UM15-22 MX12-22 also all promising.

Any driver suggestions? I seem to be stuck in Dayton Audio land.

Or perhaps a loudspeakerdatabase.com search that is expertly crafted? This is the best I could do.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:58 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't keep up with driver options, just wanted to point out that the driver must meet a 'sag' spec, so need to check each one you're interested in if not part of its specs: https://stereointegrity.com/wp-conte...rientation.pdf
Old 15th September 2021, 09:47 AM   #3
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

How much cabinet volume can you accommodate?
Do you have a DSP or equalizer?
Old 15th September 2021, 04:58 PM   #4
AbilityBuild is offline AbilityBuild  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
How much cabinet volume can you accommodate?
400 liters total volume maximum, but if it could be <231 liters total volume then it could be made into an end table which would be preferable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
Do you have a DSP or equalizer?
I have this one

--------------------------

As an update, the UM12-22 seems to be my best choice as of now.
Pros:
  • $219
  • 202 liters total
  • F3@15.8Hz, +/-3db from 15.8hz to 120Hz
  • 115dB max SPL assuming quarter space radiation
  • within Xmax at all times with sub saver highpass filter (highpass 4th order Butterworth @ 15hz)
  • port air velocity <17m/s
Cons:
  • There is an impedance spike of 8.5 ohms at 17.2 hz, the driver needs 260W@17.2Hz of electrical input power but my amplifier (Crown 1002) could only supply about 210W
  • Tuning for bass extension was at the expense of a flat response, could be flatter
Things I don't understand:
  • group delay is above 30ms below 21.9Hz, peaking at 120ms in the sub-audible frequencies, not sure how much this matters
  • I don't understand enclosure quality factor (QL) which is set to 7 by default?
  • I don't understand if I should put polyfill in the subwoofer, and if I do how that might affect the size of the box or the frequency response
Attached Images
File Type: png um_12_22_ported.PNG (49.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png um_12_22_ported_power_w_sub_saver_highpass_filter.PNG (76.6 KB, 15 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt um_12_22_port_v1.txt (1,010 Bytes, 0 views)

Last edited by AbilityBuild; 15th September 2021 at 05:15 PM.
  Reply to this post

Sonosub Driver Selection HelpHide this!Advertise here!