Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Inconsistent TS Parameters
Inconsistent TS Parameters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #11
b_force is offline b_force  Europe
diyAudio Member

Often the issue is more that there aren't any real standards when it comes down to T/S parameters.
Keep in mind that ALL manufacturers cherry pick their data.

This often results in a sort of chicken-egg discussion with the manufacturer.

Very recently I had something similar with a very known hifi speaker manufacturer.
One I know that they clearly know what they are doing.
I always double check T/S parameters from any datasheet. More to just get a feel about what brands I can trust and what brands are making a total mess.

In this particular case the parameters were way off.
Fs and Qt were both completely out of any reasonable tolerance.
Long and difficult story/discussion short, for this particular driver not only was pink noise not usable, but even the voltage levels on the speaker itself mattered a lot to get and measure the same results.

In general results will always differ somewhat. Around 10-15%, depending on the way you measure things. In the case we are talking about 30-40%, which is kind of insane.

End of the story is that this shift in Fs and Qt was even noticeable when music was played on low levels.

In my book this is called non-linear behavior.
But did I already mention the chicken-egg discussion?
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, at least we're well beyond the pioneer's specs, which was just Fs and 'guaranteed' to be no > some higher frequency such as Altec's 803 woofer rated 50 Hz Fs/60 Hz max, yet most that were used for decades in cinemas measured ~ 62-65 Hz, so probably around 80 Hz new!
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #13
b_force is offline b_force  Europe
diyAudio Member

At least?

Speaker datasheets are still even worse than the basic pieces of paper of the first couple of decades of vacuum tubes.
It's actually just embarrassing.

Inconsistent TS ParametersHide this!Advertise here!