Sound System

Amplifier

• Lab Gruppen

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Electrovoice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I put them directly on the amplifier without crossover and it still feels a bit undone in some parts. I have several unrelated crossovers. this problem may be due to the true delay. if I put left and right subwoofers give me the impression that it cancels even though they are in normal polarity. ty all for reply :)

Then open them up and check the terminals. 4x18” it is very unlikely one of them could be connected with reverse polarity after a service or similar. Take pics as you open them. Confirm all drivers work and look of identical type. But both boxes in the middle of the room right next to each other when you try again. Then check cables to amp, signal cables from amp to crossover etc. check the whole chain. Once you rule out electrical issues you only have acoustics left. Room, delay etc.

so ok two subs separated by approximately 30 feet tucked into the back corners of the stage and we are wondering where the bass goes further out into the house...somebody help me please the main power alley that should exist is going to contain nothing below 40 and down and overlap from a mid high is only going to make it worse....where's my bottle of scotch...

Put all the subs TOGETHER, and then test for polarity. That takes separation and room effects out of the equation for determining whether they are in phase. If the invert button needs to be pressed to get them in phase, so be it. But when tested as a cluster, you’ll know for sure. Then if a bass cancellation problem remains in the placement you want/need, you may have to put them all in one corner if you’re stuck putting them in corners. If you don’t have room for all of them, don’t use them all. Better to use what you can, efficiently, than to hook them all up and not hear them.

I don't know how much room influence there is in this case but many people here do overlap their mains and subs.

Some overlap is unavoidable even with a fairly step crossover but in pro audio applications anyway there are good reasons for applying a high pass to the mains when subs are used, the increase headroom and low mid clarity are significant when the system is pushed.. which is often in most cases.

To the OP..
The room a system is in has a hugh impact on low frequency reproduction and smaller rooms are worse, the cancellation nodes generated are complex and the only way to do anything about it is to reposition the subs. It is starting to sound like to me that the room is the problem here, can you post a wider picture of the whole room so we can get an idea of what it looks like? What are the dimensions and is it oddly shaped, and where in the room is the system positioned?

Another thought. How are the amplifiers setup and what terminals are the subs connected to? Do you have the sub amp set for bridged mono with the speakers connected normally to the L and R terminals? If so that is not the right way to get bridged output and is the source of your problem, because an amp set to bridged mode inverts polarity to one side. The correct connection method is use to the Red binding posts only in most cases, the owners manual will show for sure.

Last edited:
Did you confirm that all electrical aspects are right before going into acoustics? I cannot stress this enough. Check all internal and external terminals and wiring on all drivers on all the speakers. Talking about room modes or delay makes no sense before you can confirm everything is correct electronically. Placing the speakers in the middle of the room while checking these thing will make your life easier. One by one. Then all together.