Dayton DCS450 18” in W-Frame dipole?

Hey all. Looking to build a W-frame dipole woofer for the first time. $300 budget for the drivers. DSP will be used for EQ/roll-off correction. I came across the Dayton DCS450 18” woofer that seems like it might work ok. Thoughts? Do you guys have any other suggestions for a pair of drivers I should consider in the <$300 for the pair price range? Happy to go any diameter, but obviously with smaller woofers I’d be wanting extra xmax to make up for their size.

Was also looking at the Dayton DCS380 15” but this doesn’t have much more xmax and seems like not as good at the 18” version for the money.

Last edited:
Just go for the most Xmax you can afford. Qts determines the shape of the low end roll-off and is not really much of a factor when you are using DSP because you will be EQing that roll-off (to the limits of the Xmax) But more capable woofers with powerful motors (high Xmax, low Qts, high BL) get pretty expensive.

Don't overestimate your amplifier needs either. It takes surprisingly little power to bottom out a woofer at low frequencies in free air.

Just go for the most Xmax you can afford. Qts determines the shape of the low end roll-off and is not really much of a factor when you are using DSP because you will be EQing that roll-off (to the limits of the Xmax) But more capable woofers with powerful motors (high Xmax, low Qts, high BL) get pretty expensive.

Don't overestimate your amplifier needs either. It takes surprisingly little power to bottom out a woofer at low frequencies in free air.

+1

Although if my memory is correct you can also cheap out by choosing drivers without large copper shorting rings in the motor. This is because the push-pull setup will cancel even order distortion making them perform similar to much more expensive drivers.

Distortion cancellation in push-pull setup is not so direct. I had tested it, you can get cancellation only in very narrow band, basically only on some frequency point. This is because sound pressure is not in same phase with cone displacement.

As already noted before, Qts is not nearly important, more important are Xmax and sensitivity. For dipole driver selection is needed to start from needed SPL level on needed lowest frequency point. Simulate for example in Vituixcad on infinity baffle configuration how big SPL can be get with power what turns driver(s) to Xmax on lowest frequency point. If SPL is not what you need, other driver with higher Xmax and sensitivity must be selected.

Simulate for example in Vituixcad on infinity baffle configuration how big SPL can be get with power what turns driver(s) to Xmax on lowest frequency point. If SPL is not what you need, other driver with higher Xmax and sensitivity must be selected.
I was not very correct. Because dipole cancellation is needed to correct SPL level also with -6 dB/octave curve down from dipole peak frequency.