12 inch Woofer for 14 Hz

Out of curiosity, you mean go flat until 14 or reach 14 with a reasonable fraction of full SPL?

And what would be the intention?

Hearing a pure tone of 14 Hz isn't that hard with high SPL, 20 Hz is the limit assuming certain SPL, but still, I have a hard time imagining what importance it could have, besides heavier impact when reproducing drums for instance, cause those frequencies don't really carry information in normal music.

Not to mention they sound much more like a sequence of individual cycles than something constant and sustained, only the fundamental of some very heavy instruments like large organs could fall below 20 Hz, and even if you don't reproduce them it will be very well implied anyway.

During the first year of this pandemic I've built a "headphones" out of two 1.5 inch drivers with added mass and dampening to the cones to reproduce lower frequencies, then I've used a stereo 25 W RMS amplifier and abused of the digital equalization to render it flat (once I had lots of power to spare).

I managed to make it flat down to 15 Hz I think, and even 9 Hz was not only audible but also loud, but I soon put a cutoff at that because it only made rumble and polluted everything, specially after I once passed through a video that, some why, had a very loud 9 Hz sound on it (maybe a ground loop or some compression artifact) and boy it did hurt my ears, because the equalization curve was exaggerating everything down 20 Hz. It made me terribly dizzy.

Last edited:
Getting a 12” to go to 14Hz isn’t that difficult but it all depends how loud you need it to go!

... Is the correct answer.

For reference, here's what a pair of 8" midbass units do in sealed boxes, in-room:

23gwOqJ.png

Once I knock the 40Hz peak down, it's flat down to 10Hz.

It's important to note that they don't get particularly loud down there. After all, it's only a pair of 8"s.

Chris

sub 20Hz subwoofing

Having gone down that rabbit hole before; I can say it's a fun exercise not however especially beneficial in terms of music reproduction or domestic tranquility

Exciting a room below about 25 Hz tends to reveal all manner of mechanical resonances and rattles that are best left alone. Not to mention lingering irk & ire from your neighbors

hmm...…………….

12" with F3 ported to 14hz...……………
you right, passive radiator...……..
but a pr should move, what 4 times the air (assuming speakers sd passive radiator but 4 x Xmax)? I forget the rule of thumb

That would take a floppy qts subwoofer and long xmax, giving a low sensitivity (under 80db) and probably need a huge box.

I found 120db+ of 27hz (system boosted F3 tuned there) was tremendously fun (4x18's assuming 100 watts each).

Last edited:
nice find on that 15 (peerless)
I get...…………. (deeper ported than standard 4th)

Deeper Ported 1
Vb 4.04 ft3 (114 L)
F3 17.74 hz
Tuning freq 19.43 hz

My rss390hf (15") would need 11ft3 for similar F3 (but standard 4th) ...…………….

yes, I mentioned huge output above 27hz was massively fun, but I don't have a reference to 15hz...………………..

I assume there are some floppy qts car audio subs that can get F3 ported down there, but the box size would be enormous.

Last edited:
Exciting a room below about 25 Hz tends to reveal all manner of mechanical resonances and rattles that are best left alone. Not to mention lingering irk & ire from your neighbors

Indeed! I've periodically posted what can happen if done in a 'floating' floor construction, having erroneously assumed the house [Fs] was < 10 Hz; it wasn't. :( At least it didn't upset any neighbors.