shallow subwoofer for a zu druid

hello
looking to build a single 15" / 18" subwoofer to complement a zu druid

enclosure can be tall , but must be slim ( 200mm /300mm max )
can someone point me towards the right design please
outboard amp is ok too

is it better to do a single 18 or a twin 15 ?
looking at true sub bass , willing and able to use dsp if needs be so long as stonking performance ....... failing that !!! maybe commercially available models without the hefty price tags some trying to get away with

many thanks

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yeah you can use a very powerful amplifier and a sealed box and EQ lower or tune the box below FS and use EQ to make the response flat (ported). Have a play around in Hornresp paying attention to the maximum output graph rather than the unprocessed frequency response. If you want a very small box the only option will be sealed and an amplifier that can deliver a very high output voltage to fight against the strong air spring. The limiting factor of such a box is just the maximum linear excursion of the driver and its piston area. Piston Excursion calculator

Last edited:
I see .... so it’s possible ! Maybe not fight it to death as in reasonable size but room decor friendly
The shameful part is that I don’t know how to use hornrsp , and the cab is made by someone else ..... I can only tackle the problem with old fashioned banking ..... hence asking for pointers ��
Admittedly I’m not a headbanger ... so would probably not require wedding venue spl
But if I can plummet down below at night listening level ..... then all the happier
Thank you all
Ps : hypex plate amp ... 700 watts enough ?

FYI: We design boxes on audio forums, not architectural structures [though some can be up to small room size ;)], so deep/depth = front to back, tall = height and length or width refers to the driver baffle and unless stated otherwise, these are inside dims [i.d.] and the recommended min. panel thickness = 3/4" [18, 19 mm]* if one chooses to use outside dims [o.d.].

* edit.

Last edited:
So yes , 300 mm is depth and I refer to front to back measurement

Width : yes the front baffle as In 15” driver will yield a 15 and a bit baffle ( can go up to 18 and what it entails as extra width
Height is also not so much of a problem ( I have a Maggie 3.7 in sitting in the room for fun )
And yes , they sell mdf in that thickness (19mm ) and ply at 18 here
We on the same page
My desired size is about 1000mm tall / 300 deep and 500 wide ( assuming a 15 “ )
Smaller better !

So you think I cannot mount a 15 ?

Well, now that I know that [driver] depth is the only restriction rather than the only variable, driver size is a function of what sort of performance one wants, so based solely on.......
Admittedly I’m not a headbanger ... so would probably not require wedding venue spl But if I can plummet down below at night listening level ..... then all the happier
........since as usual, nothing of use WRT Zu Druid speaker specs, a 15" would be at minimum and preferably an 18" or even 21 - 24" since we ideally want a 35/2 = ~17.5 Hz Fs subwoofer with reasonably high efficiency [low Xmax] since it can't be very deep.

Another 'problem' is Zu rates its speakers at a 101 dB efficiency, which has to be up in the mid-band [normally 200- 300 Hz], but normally we need what it it is in the 70-80 Hz BW where it needs to be XO'd.

If you want to match it, then will ideally need two fairly efficient sub-woofers, so where do we go from here?

I like the idea of twin 15
Can the box be puny and compensated by dsp / faffing about at software level ???
How small could one get away with ?
I looked at various vendors of enclosures ( can build to drawings no problem ) most looked a bit cubicle or geared towards car audio
Is there a plan of something proven to be great with my requirements

There’s a sub I looked into named the Artcoustic spitfire ? But can’t find anything about them in terms of users experience or test
happy to source Dayton
That rcf looked decent too
Thanks guys for all the pointers
I refinished / upgraded my zu , now time for that agile deep bass
Agai thanks

need a shallow sub? i'd look at some of the car audio subs like the JL TW5

images

Can the box be puny and compensated by dsp / faffing about at software level ???

How small could one get away with ?

Is there a plan of something proven to be great with my requirements

You're welcome!

Up to a point, yes.

Driver installed depth * 1.5 [for rear vented drivers according to the original Altec Lansing] dictates depth, though there's been some successful [low power] speakers done backed up hard against the back plate, and in theory width x height by driver frame size depending on its specs, power handling capability.

None I can recall for even close to sub duty, but memory's going the way of the Dodo bird, so YMMV.