Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Deep bass sub for home cinema in addition to closed sub
Deep bass sub for home cinema in addition to closed sub
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2021, 12:09 PM   #11
lvis is offline lvis
diyAudio Member

Just did some tests with software EQ and some movies. Cutting the vented woofer in the corner at 35 or 40Hz makes no sense. The woofer would be too bored when watching movies. Nearly all explosions and so on seem to have their main frequency somewhere between 40 and 60 Hz and thats then also the range where main bass beats appear.
So it seems to me as i have to stick with a closed sub in the corner enhanced with something under my couch to get more "action" here for movies
Old 16th April 2021, 12:21 PM   #12
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you look at my Overdrive10 project? Great bandpass sub!
Wolf
Old 16th April 2021, 03:05 PM   #13
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvis View Post
Would not work out for me due to my restrictions where I can place the subs. In Corner i can only do frontfiring or downfiring, and under the couch there would be no space for such a constellation
too bad that you have space issue, while i built as big as i can 150L btw for each cabinet. while my mains use 21" woofer

my setup is cut 40Hz 24dB with behringer nu3000dsp, really shine on bluray movies

if you really want something deep, take out that space constrain and let it go BIG. unless you have WAF issue which is not an issue for me where my wife stay out of my audio gear
Old 16th April 2021, 06:02 PM   #14
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I really wonder, why I can't quote the last post.
Because it was the last post.

The forum recently removed the option to presumably reduce wasted storage, but if you click both the [+] and [reply] you can do it, though prefer you don't unless wanting to copy/paste it on a doc like me, then delete it before posting, ditto editing any you do as much as practical, also a new forum request/rule?

Last edited by GM; 16th April 2021 at 06:05 PM.
Old 16th April 2021, 06:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Outside measurements H*W*D would be roughly 5.5"x19.5"x19.5" if I go for a downfire sub.
With upfiring I can get maybe 1" more height, but with the risk that if someone heavier is sitting on the couch quickly, the couch seating area could maybe touch and damage the speaker.
WRT shallow height, historically I've recommended the largest driver that when laid on its side will physically fit the i.d. height with at least one each end or spaced along the front/back and preferably multiples to get efficiency up as much as practical if budget allows and either up/down firing depending on the amount of HF BW required.

Either way, assuming a sufficiently massive/rigid floor construction, quality materials/construction solves the body/weight problem with DIY mini I-beams made from scrap for bracing the 3/4" marine grade plywood construction, which to date my current max is a decades long handling of up to a 674 lb man once the 'floating' floor was suitably braced with a DIY I-beam supported/braced by metal poles attached to the concrete basement's flooring.

In your case though, the available net volume [Vb] is much lower than I'm used to having available, but with relatively cheap DSP nowadays it doesn't matter how much under-damped it turns out to be, so best to just choose based on lowest Fs drivers you can afford and EQ to 'taste' in room.

Last edited by GM; 16th April 2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 16th April 2021, 06:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
Overdrive10
!
Old 16th April 2021, 09:40 PM   #17
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Have you considered bass shakers for the couch for movies ?
Old 17th April 2021, 07:14 AM   #18
lvis is offline lvis
diyAudio Member

Phew, so much input, thanks for all your hints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
Did you look at my Overdrive10 project? Great bandpass sub!
Wolf
Yep, thanks for the input. My first try was also a bandpass, but it completely failed. So I tried my next experiments with less complicated setups (closed and vented) to avoid too much fails. But a bandpass will definitely come, as well as some Transmissionline for my office, as next project

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
WRT shallow height, historically I've recommended the largest driver that when laid on its side will physically fit the i.d. height with at least one each end or spaced along the front/back and preferably multiples to get efficiency up as much as practical if budget allows and either up/down firing depending on the amount of HF BW required.

In your case though, the available net volume [Vb] is much lower than I'm used to having available, but with relatively cheap DSP nowadays it doesn't matter how much under-damped it turns out to be, so best to just choose based on lowest Fs drivers you can afford and EQ to 'taste' in room.
Did some experiments yesterday with the existing speakers (MTX-RT-10). Sound great as downfiring to my massive floor and they will fit into the couch enclosures if the magnet can stay out of enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWells View Post
Have you considered bass shakers for the couch for movies ?
Considered, yes. Wife is not that happy with that thought, and me, too. I remember a friend of mine had it. Well, it's rumbling and shaking, but if the basic sonic bass is missing, it's more confusing as exciting (in my eyes)

Well, masterplan for the next 2 weeks: Since the MTX RT10-4 performed pretty good as closed box in the corner, and also as downfiring in the room middle, and they are pretty cheap at the moment for their parameters (low vas and fs) I'll order 2 more of them. Build 1 closed box for room corner, containing 2 speakers. And build 2 small boxes as downfiring for the couch.
Hope this will finally help also to enjoy music in the whole living room, not only on the couch, and have enough SPL for some decent home cinema, too. As we do not watch that loud, i guess that could work out. 1 MTX as closed box in corrner is already damn loud with a few Watts. For the room middle, they definitely need some more power since the roomgain is missing, but also here my cheap china amp with 30 Watt RMS was pretty loud.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:03 PM   #19
zobsky is offline zobsky  United States
diyAudio Member

There's this approach to hide (at least a part of) the sub under a couch. Never tried it but it's an option (I wish they had used an offset TL design though)

The Hideaway TL Sub | audioXpress
Old 22nd April 2021, 05:50 PM   #20
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Take a look at this thread.

The Tactile Response Thread for BASS ) | AVS Forum
  Reply to this post

Deep bass sub for home cinema in addition to closed subHide this!Advertise here!