Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Advice sought: Woofers for compact sealed boxes
Advice sought: Woofers for compact sealed boxes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2021, 04:53 AM   #31
bansuri is online now bansuri  Italy
diyAudio Member

The cabinet wall vibrations are worse because they affect the fundamental.

Inside the cab the pressure is opposite to the radiated wave and the walls bend and radiate a wave that diminishes the fundamental, apart from resonances at higher frequencies.
I had excellent results with spherical enclosures
apri 050.jpg
Old 9th April 2021, 01:58 PM   #32
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. And it gets at the question I've been trying to probe.

Is there a way, with readily available information, to determine when push-pull will yield enough benefit to warrant the extra complications? So far my answer has been that relevant information is often not available. Sound Integrity takes a stab (attached) but the Dayton Reference HO speakers are just described as "Triple shorting-ring motor for ultra-low distortion."

And underlying all of it is the nagging question of audibility. Geddes and others have argued the importance of harmonic distortion is often exaggerated. I would think that if it's going to be an issue, then fundamentals in the bottom octave, with harmonics at frequencies we can hear better, is where it'll be most important. But I can't support that with data. No doubt it's out there. Too bad I have a day job demanding my attention!

Anyway, thanks again for the posts.
Few
Attached Images
File Type: png Sound Integrity SQL Series.png (88.7 KB, 39 views)
  Reply to this post

Advice sought: Woofers for compact sealed boxesHide this!Advertise here!